Public Works

Sewer and Storm Drain Unit
24-Hour Hotline (612) 673-5625
or call 311 for non-urgent issues

Home Sewer Maintenance

What is the property owner's responsibility?

The property owner is responsible for the sanitary service lateral connecting your property to the public sanitary sewer system. The sanitary lateral is the pipe which extends from inside your property to the sanitary sewer in the street. The connection at the sewer pipe is a part of your service lateral and is also the property owner's responsibility.

As a homeowner, what is my role regarding sewage overflow?

You are responsible for the maintenance (and repair, if needed) of your sanitary lateral.

A cracked, deteriorated or root-filled lateral can allow groundwater to seep into the sanitary lateral and the sanitary sewer system. This excess groundwater in the sanitary system creates additional problems. If restrictions exist in your lateral, or if the lateral is in poor condition, blockages between your property and the sanitary sewer can occur. These blockages can result in backups into your basement, causing property damage and potential health concerns.

You are required to correct any improper connections, such as roof drains, driveway or foundation drains, downspouts or sump pumps connected directly to the sanitary sewer. This stormwater must be disconnected from the sanitary sewer, and must be managed on your property or redirected to the storm drain system. Read more about the Combined Sewer Overflow program.

Is my service affected by what I put down the drain?

Yes! Do not dispose of Fats, Oil & Grease (FOG) down any sink drain or the toilet inside your home.


Scrape and wipe plates, pots & pans before washing them, placing excess food in the trash. Limiting what goes down your drain will help keep your sanitary lateral working properly. Sanitary napkins, bandages, coffee grounds, eggshells, kitty litter, diapers or any items that will not totally dissolve should be placed in your trash. Hazardous materials such as motor oil, anti-freeze, paint, turpentine and household cleaners should be properly disposed of at hazardous waste collection sites. Be careful what you put down your drain!

What kinds of problems do Fats, Oil and Grease (FOG) cause?

If FOG enters your service lateral and then the sewer system, it will solidify as it cools. This material can cause the sanitary sewer pipe on your street to back-up into your property, as well as other buildings on the same line, leading to possible property damage.

Last updated Feb 23, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Public Works  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo