Forgery and Fraud

Forgery and Fraud Unit

Contact information

What we do

If you accepted a forged check

Call 911 to request a police officer come to your residence or business. The officer will take your report and obtain and turn over the forged check to the police jurisdiction where the event took place.

If a merchant accepts an "NSF" check:

See the statute for a description of the process to follow prior to reporting to law enforcement in the jurisdiction where the check was paid:  MN 609.535. They will need to send the notice of nonpayment or dishonor as described in the statute.

If your checks or credit cards are lost or stolen (this includes check cards, debit cards and EBT cards):

If your stolen checks or cards have been used:

 Identity theft

If you are a victim of internet fraud

If your social security card was lost or stolen

If you driver’s license was lost or stolen


Last updated Jul 30, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo