8-200 Juvenile At-risk Call Procedures

8-201 MISSING / RUNAWAY JUVENILES (04/30/02) (10/03/03) (08/01/06) (10/07/08)


Initial Response and NCIC Entry

Persons wanting to report a missing juvenile (including runaways) shall be directed to call 911/Minneapolis Emergency Communication Center (MECC) at all times. MECC will complete the NCIC Missing Juvenile card (MP-6409) for all juveniles 17 years old and under, noting any suspicious or unusual circumstances. MECC shall then dispatch a squad to the incident address. A squad shall respond as soon as possible to verify the status of the juvenile.

Upon arriving to the incident address, officers shall:

  1. If reasonable, ask for permission to search the residence to verify that the juvenile is missing.
  2. Contact MECC Channel 7 upon determining whether the report of the missing juvenile is confirmed or unfounded.
  3. If the juvenile is confirmed missing, officers shall complete a CAPRS report using the MISPER code and document if a search was conducted and who gave consent.

MECC shall enter all juvenile missing persons into NCIC within 2 hours of the time listed on the Missing Persons Card (MP-6409). If a missing juvenile report is determined to be unfounded MECC shall clear the missing person record from MECC. (10/05/09)

MECC staff, reporting officers, and investigators shall advise the reporting person to call 911 if the missing juvenile returns or is located.

Juveniles 12 and Under

In addition to the above, MECC shall broadcast the initial information and notify the on-duty precinct shift supervisor when the incident involves a juvenile 12 years of age or younger. The shift supervisor shall then decide if the precinct lieutenant or Watch Commander should be notified to coordinate a large-scale search.

Located/Returned Juveniles

When MECC receives notification that a missing juvenile has returned or been located, they will complete a new Missing Juvenile Card (MP-6409) and immediately dispatch a squad to the incident address in order to verify that the missing juvenile has returned. Upon verifying the juvenile has returned, the officer shall inform MECC Channel 7 to remove the juvenile from NCIC.

When an officer encounters a listed missing/runaway juvenile and the juvenile cannot be released to a parent/legal guardian, officers shall transport the juvenile to JSC. Officers shall ensure that MECC Channel 7 is notified to remove the juvenile from NCIC.

Once the missing juvenile has been removed from NCIC, MECC staff shall check the "cancel" box and record the new CCN in the upper left corner on the new Missing Juvenile Card. The card will be picked up by Juvenile Unit support staff during business hours.

If it is determined that the missing juvenile is a runaway, the officer shall issue a Hennepin County Juvenile Citation and complete a CAPRS report using the code RUNWAY. The CCN for the original Missing Person call shall be referenced in the "Public Info" and "Related CCN" data fields of the RUNWAY report.

Special Circumstances 

  1. A juvenile under court-ordered placement who is reported missing, shall require an MPD squad response. (10/09/14)
  2. A juvenile at a Minneapolis facility (e.g. The Bridge) who has run away, can be reported as a missing/runaway juvenile by any person, regardless of the reporting person’s relationship to the juvenile, and whether or not the stay was a court-ordered placement. (10/05/09) (10/09/14)
  3. A juvenile placed on a 72-hour hold by the MPD, who runs away prior to the expiration of the hold, requires a squad response.
  4. Any missing juvenile believed to be in imminent danger shall have a squad response and NCIC Entry protocol initiated, regardless of jurisdiction. Officers will complete a CAPRS report coded MISPER.
  5. The local law enforcement agency having jurisdiction over the location where a person has been missing or was last seen has the responsibility to take a missing person report.

If this location cannot be clearly and easily established, the local law enforcement agency having jurisdiction over the last verified location where the missing person last resided has the responsibility to take the report. (10/10/08)



In addition to standard reporting requirements found in section 4-602 Report Writing, all missing person reports shall:

  1. Identify the Missing Person as "MP" in the Role/Role #.
  2. Identify the name and address of the current/last school attended by the MP.
  3. Provide all contact phone number(s) including cellular and work, for the Reporting Party (RP).
  4. Identify the relationship of the MP to the RP.
  5. Document if a search of the home was conducted and who gave consent.

All CAPRS reports shall also include a description of circumstances relating to the missing person. Include any prior disappearances, suicidal tendencies, medical or EDP (emotionally disturbed person) concerns.



The Juvenile Unit shall be responsible for the follow-up investigations on all juvenile missing person cases. Once an investigator is assigned a missing person case, he/she shall:

  1. Contact the Reporting Party (RP) by phone or in-person.
  2. Determine if the child has returned and/or if additional information is available.
  3. Perform necessary follow-up as prompted by the nature of the case.
  4. Consider issuing an ISAC bulletin.
  5. Complete closing supplements and Disposition Sheet.

NCIC Packets

The Juvenile Unit shall provide the following materials to the reporting person no later than two weeks after the date of the NCIC entry: a packet titled "NCIC Missing Person File Data Collection Entry Guide" and the form titled "Minnesota Missing Person Bulletin Information & Release Form". These documents are available on the MPD intranet in the "Forms" section at:

NCICMissingPersons-DataCollectionGuide.pdf and MNMissingPersonBulletinAndRelease.pdf

Designated Juvenile Unit staff shall enter a supplement in CAPRS noting the date these materials were distributed. The Data Collection Guide/packet will be returned to the designated Juvenile Unit staff member, who shall review the information and enter a supplement in CAPRS stating the date the packet was received. Staff in the Juvenile Unit will update the NCIC entry with any additional identifying information as soon as it becomes available. The assigned investigator will property inventory the Data Collection Guide once his/her review is complete and appropriate updates are made to NCIC and CAPRS.


8-202 AMBER ALERT (05/19/05) (10/07/08)


An Amber Alert may be warranted in abductions and kidnappings in which the victim is 17 years of age or younger and appears to be in immediate danger of serious bodily harm, sexual assault, or death. In these instances officers shall notify their supervisor and begin an immediate search for the missing child.

If it is immediately known that all criteria outlined in section 8-202.01 are met, the on-scene supervisor shall contact the BCA to request an Amber Alert Broadcast and notify the Watch Commander. The Watch Commander shall coordinate departmental notifications.

8-202.01 ACTIVATING AN AMBER ALERT BROADCAST (10/07/08) (07/01/13)

To activate an Amber Alert Broadcast the following criteria must be met:

  1. The victim of an abduction (parental/non-parental) or a runaway, and is 17 years of age or younger.
  2. The child is believed to be in imminent danger of serious bodily harm or death.
  3. There is information available to disseminate to the general public, which could assist with the safe recovery of the victim and/or the apprehension of the suspect.

To activate the Amber Alert, a Supervisor shall contact the BCA Communications Center and request an Amber Alert Broadcast.

Provide the following information to the BCA:

The BCA has sole discretion to issue Amber Alerts.


In cases where Amber Alert criteria is not met but the general public, other law enforcement agencies, businesses and the media could assist in locating the missing individual, the MN Crime Alert Network (MNCAN) may be activated. To activate MNCAN, contact MECC.

8-203 CURFEW VIOLATIONS (10/03/89) (10/07/08)


The Minneapolis Police Department is committed to reducing youth violence through a number of measures, including curfew enforcement. The City of Minneapolis has adopted the Countywide Curfew Ordinance #16.

Curfew violators under the age of 10 shall be taken into custody if a parent/legal guardian cannot be located. Officers shall contact First Response to determine where the child will be placed.

Curfew violators over the age of 10 may be issued a Juvenile Citation and released to a parent/legal guardian. If the juvenile cannot be released to a parent/legal guardian, he/she shall be transported to the Juvenile Supervision Center.

When a juvenile is cited for curfew violation, officers shall complete a CAPRS report coded CURFEW, and document to whom the juvenile was released.

8-204 TRUANCY (01/23/96) (10/07/08)


Juveniles detained for truancy offenses shall be taken to the Juvenile Supervision Center located in Room 21A, City Hall.



Placement of a child on a Health and Welfare 72-hour Hold is the sole responsibility of the officer placing the hold. Minn. Stat. §260C.175 allows only a peace officer or judge (via court order), to take a child into immediate custody "when a child is found in surroundings or conditions which endanger the child’s health or welfare, or which such peace officer reasonably believes will endanger the child's health or welfare."

Social workers may only request that a child is placed on a Health and Welfare Hold. Officers dispatched to place a child on a Health and Welfare Hold at the request of medical personnel or social services shall document the circumstances, surroundings, or conditions which necessitate the hold be placed. This must be done to ensure that the hold is legal.

The decision to place a Health and Welfare Hold on a child shall not be based upon a parent/ legal guardian’s cooperation (or lack of) with any police investigation.

Minnesota Stat. §260C.175 mandates that whenever a law enforcement officer takes a child into custody in regard to a health and welfare hold, the officer must provide the parent or legal guardian a list of social service agencies that offer child welfare services. If the parent or legal guardian is not present, the "Rights as Parents" brochure shall be left in a conspicuous location on the premises. This brochure is available in multiple languages on MPDnet.

Should officers determine it is necessary to place a Health and Welfare Hold on a child, the following procedures shall be followed:

Forms and Notifications

  1. Complete the Notice of 72-Hour Police Health and Welfare Hold (HC 12434).
  2. The "brochure" listing of social service agencies and the pink copy of the 72-Hour Hold shall be given to the parent or posted conspicuously in the home if the parent is not available. Officer(s) shall document in the CAPRS report where the notices were left.
  3. Contact First Response to advise them of the hold.
  4. Notify MECC of the nature of the incident and the location where the child is being transported in order to prevent the inappropriate filing of a Missing Juvenile Report.
  5. When a child is admitted to a hospital for care, a photocopy of the 72-Hour Hold shall be left in an envelope with the child's chart. Officers should complete the 72-Hour Hold by listing "HCMC (or other local hospital name) and St. Josephs" as the receiving facility in order to avoid the need for a separate 72-Hour Hold to be completed.
  6. A CAPRS report coded HLTWEL shall be completed. Officers shall articulate the reason(s) for the Health and Welfare Hold and state what crime was committed: neglect/medical neglect, child endangerment, criminal sexual conduct, malicious punishment and/or deprivation of parental rights.
  7. The blue copy of the 72-Hour Hold shall be forwarded to First Response at the 4 th Precinct and the canary copy of the 72-Hour Hold shall be forwarded to the Family Violence Unit.

Transport Procedure

  1. The child shall be transported to St. Joseph’s and a copy of the 72-Hour Hold shall be provided to the facility, unless the child requires medical attention or a medical assessment.
  2. If the child requires medical attention or a medical assessment, officers shall transport the child to Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) whenever possible, using an ambulance if necessary. If the child is transported via ambulance, an officer shall accompany the child in the ambulance.
  3. An officer shall stay with the child at the hospital until relieved by an investigator from the Family Violence Unit or Car 710. Note: The only exception to this is when a child is admitted to the hospital as the result of medical neglect at the request of a physician or social services.

The "police hold" can be released before the 72-hour period expires. The procedure is for First Response to request that the hold be removed by contacting the Family Violence Unit. During the hours that the Family Violence Unit is not staffed, this request may be made to Car 710.



Any parent/legal guardian being arrested has the option to designate a caregiver for their child(ren) while they are in custody except in those cases where juveniles are found in surroundings or conditions that endanger their health or welfare. If a caregiver is identified, officers shall allow a reasonable amount of time to conduct a temporary custody transfer of the child(ren). Officers are not required to transport the child(ren) to another location.

Officers shall complete the MPD Transfer of Child Custody form (MP-9048) and identify the child(ren) and caregiver in the corresponding CAPRS report. Copies of the Transfer of Child Custody form shall be distributed as indicated on the form.

If the parent/legal guardian does not designate a caregiver, officers will complete a Health and Welfare Hold. Officers shall complete a 72-Hour Hold and indicate on that form that the child(ren) can be released to the parents or other suitable person. Officers will also indicate that the transfer was declined on the MPD Transfer of Custody form. Copies of the 72-Hour Hold and the MPD Temporary Transfer of Custody form shall be distributed as indicated on the forms.

Officers may refuse to transfer custody of the child(ren) to the caregiver if there are articulable circumstances which may place the child(ren) at risk. Officers shall document these circumstances in the corresponding CAPRS report.



Officers shall immediately contact MECC upon the discovery of a lost child. If the child’s parent/legal guardian is unable to be located and/or the home address is not known, the officer(s) shall contact First Response.

Any child left alone in their home long enough to come to the attention of police or children left with a baby-sitter past the agreed upon return time of the parents, may be considered abandoned. Officers must use discretion and consider the totality of the circumstances in deciding what actions to take. If the parent/legal guardian cannot be located, officers shall contact First Response.

Should officers become aware of underlying circumstances which necessitate placing the child on a 72-hour Health and Welfare Hold, officers shall place the hold in accordance with section 8-205 Health and Welfare Holds – Juveniles.

8-208 LURING OF CHILDREN (06/10/91) (10/07/08)


A CAPRS report titled LURING shall be completed on all child luring incidents. Luring reports will be routed to the Sex Crimes Unit for investigation. (09/06/07) (10/07/08)

The incident of LURING (alone) is not a violation of law and no arrests can be made for the specific act of luring. (09/06/07)



Adults arrested for Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor (a Gross Misdemeanor) shall be booked HCJ. The CAPRS report will be routed to the Juvenile Unit for follow-up and referral to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Juvenile Prosecution Division.

Officers arresting a juvenile for Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor shall refer to procedures outlined in Section 8-303 Juvenile Gross Misdemeanor, Felony and Domestic Assault Arrest Procedures.

The CAPRS report code for Contributing to the Delinquency of Minors is CONDEL.


  1. Per MN State Statute, 626.556. Subd. 3(a), police officers are mandated reporters and are required to immediately report cases of child abuse in which an officer knows or believes a child (under the age of 18) has been neglected, physically and/or sexually abused.
  2. Physical and sexual child abuse offenses only include cases in which the actor/suspect:

•   is a person responsible for the child’s care;

•  has a significant relationship to the child (parent/legal guardian or caretaker);

•  or is a person in a position of authority over the child as defined by statute 609.341.

  1. In such cases, the responding officer shall complete a CAPRS report entitled Child Abuse (CHILDAB). An abuse report shall be completed even if the child abuse offense may have occurred in another jurisdiction.
  2. Upon receipt of the CAPRS report, the Child Abuse Unit shall cross-report all abuse cases with Hennepin County Child Protection and will cross-report statewide as necessary for investigation.



Last updated Mar 5, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo