Training coordinates all department training. This includes the Citizens’ Academy, in-service training, defensive tactics training, driving training and other programs to maintain professional standards, legal requirements and professional development for MPD personnel.
- Field Training Program
- MPD Police Academy
- Crisis Intervention Team (CIT)
- MPD Range.
- 4119 Dupont Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55412
- 612- 673-2937
The Minneapolis Police Field Training Program for new officers is five months long. It is based on the nationally recognized field training model, the San Jose Model.
Field Training Program Goals:
- Recruit, select, and retain the best experienced officers to serve as Field Training Officers (FTOs) and Field Training Sergeants (FTSs), and
- Phase recruits into the Minneapolis Police Department through use of training and practical experience in the field.
The 10 week course is open to people who:
- Are 18 years of age;
- Live or work in Minneapolis; or are parents, partners, or spouses of employees of Minneapolis Police Department; and
- Pass a background check.
Citizens Academy Topics:
- Use of Force
- K-9 Unit, 911 Operations
- Emergency Response Unit
- Will be available when the next session is scheduled.
Seating is limited.
- Priority is given to those applicants who commit to becoming block leaders. When a class is full, we put non-block leaders on a waiting list.
- Mary Lou Fiala at 612- 673-3420.
Applicants will complete an application and have a background check completed through the Minneapolis Police Department.
Applications will be available when there is a scheduled course.
Last updated Jul 30, 2020