Public Works

Parking Services

Questions about parking or rates? Contact Us.

Disability Transfer Zones

The disability transfer zone may only be used while actively loading or unloading the disabled person and their equipment or personal items. The space cannot be used as a parking space by anyone, regardless of whether they have disability license plates or a disability certificate (Ordinance 478.840).


Minneapolis Traffic & Parking Services will establish a disability transfer zone in front of your property if you, a relative living with you, have current disability license plates or a disability certificate (hanging tag).

Disability transfer zone Signs are installed at the request of property owners. If you rent, you must get the signature of the property owner to have disability transfer zone signs installed.


Disability transfer signs can be installed for commercial businesses or institutions, in front of their property, if a business owner, or their employees, or patrons, possess a current disability plate or disability certificate (hanging tag).

Apply for a Transfer Zone

Complete the application and questionnaire and deliver it by mail or in person to:

Traffic & Parking Services
300 Border Avenue
Minneapolis, MN 55405

Residential Disability Zone Application (pdf)

Commercial Disability Zone Application (pdf)

Traffic & Parking Services will determine if the requested zone meets the city disability parking policy standards and whether a disability transfer zone or parking zone best suits the given situation.

Notify City When Transfer Zone No Longer Needed

If the person requiring a transfer zone moves, or their certificate expires and is not reissued, the property owner is responsible for notifying Traffic & Parking Services, in writing, that the transfer zone is no longer needed.


If you have questions, please contact a 311 Customer Service agent so they can connect you with the appropriate person.

Call 311 or 612- 673-3000,   TTY 612- 673-2157.
Submit a 311 contact us form with your questions or comments.

Last updated Jan 12, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Public Works  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo