Public Works

Parking Services

Questions about parking or rates? Contact Us.

Critical Parking Permits

Please visit to apply for and manage your permits.

Questions? Please call 877-817-3745

Residents and business owners who live in an area where there is not ample street parking can apply for critical parking permits. This page describes who is eligible, how much it costs, and answer frequently asked questions.  Visit the About the Program page if you are interested in ordinance information.

Who is eligible for a critical parking permit?

Licensed drivers who live at or have businesses at qualified addresses within a critical parking area are eligible for permits.  Check the interactive Critical Parking Area Map to verify that you live in, or your business is in, a designated area. Please note: Visitor and service permits are allowed in most areas with the exception of Areas 7, 9, 10 and the schools and fraternities.

Residential Critical Parking App image

Number of Permits Allowed 

Critical Parking Permits: 2 per licensed driver
Visitor Permit: 1 per dwelling unit
Service Permit: 1 per dwelling unit

Critical parking permits: 2 per business - visitor or service is not designated

How much do critical parking permits cost?

Critical parking permits are $25.00. (An additional $10.00 setup fee applies the first year an area is established.)

The new Critical Parking Permitting site accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express. For information on paying by cash or check, please visit Applying for a Permit

How long are permits good for?

Critical parking permits are good for up to one year from the date of purchase. A 1-month grace period applies to renewals that expire in a given month. As a result, the pro-rated fee schedule no longer applies.

Where can I park with my Critical Parking Permit?

Any permit issued is only valid during times posted on signs within the specified area for which it was issued. Eligible streets are marked with an "Except by Permit" sign. For a complete view of your area, see streets with bold lines on the interactive Critical Parking Area Map.

Please note: A permit does not guarantee or reserve a parking space to the holder. The permit holder is still subject to all other city parking ordinances and restrictions in place upon any street within the city limits and the Critical Parking Area.

Please note: A snow emergency and fall or spring street sweeping overrides the use of parking meters.

What does it mean to use a license plate as my permit?

Under the new process, your license plate is your permit. Residents no longer need to place the orange sticker on their bumpers and visitors will no longer use dashboard placards. 

What if I have frequent visitors? Or service vehicles that need to park near my business?

See visitor and service vehicle permits.

What if I have a permit and sell my car?

Permits can be transferred using the Critical Parking Permitting site at any time and at no additional cost. 

However, please be certain you are changing the license plate number for the correct permit and that any new vehicle information is entered correctly. A VIN number should be used for vehicles that have temporary license plates. Once your permanent license plates arrive you will need to visit the Critical Parking Permitting site to update your vehicle information.

What if I temporarily need to use a different vehicle?

If you need to park a vehicle other than the one you have permitted--for example, you have a rental car while your car is in the shop--you can transfer the permit as noted above.

Are there restrictions on what vehicles can use a Critical Parking Permit?

It is illegal to use Critical parking permits for commercial vehicles, trailers, taxis cabs, buses, or recreational vehicles.  Critical parking permits are available for motorcycles.

Please note: You are still subject to rush hour restrictions, temporary no parking signs, street sweeping restrictions, and snow emergency restrictions.

Last updated Jun 22, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Public Works  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo