2020 Wellness Walk program encourages you to walk or bike to your local farmers market and share about your visit
The Wellness Walk program is back this summer with a different format to guard against spreading COVID-19. In previous years, Wellness Walks were a chance for employees to gather, socialize and build community while visiting farmers markets near City worksites. The 2020 program is on your terms: You choose the time and location for a trip to your local farmers market, and you can decide to bike or walk to that destination. In the spirit of keeping the social element of the wellness walks, you can share your story about visiting the farmers market with a picture, a video or a simple statement. And if you self-report your experience in the wellness program, you can earn 250 points.
Steps for completing your Wellness Walk
1. Find a farmer’s market near you.
- Check the Farmers Markets of Minneapolis list or the Minnesota Grown directory of markets.
- If you visit the Eagan Fest, Minneapolis on Lyndale or Minnetonka farmer’s markets and are a Healthy Savings member, you can receive a voucher for one free tray of produce up to $3.
2. Plan your trip with some physical activity.
During these stressful times, remember that even some physical activity is better than none. Engaging in physical activity outdoors, like walking or biking to your local farmers market, is allowed and encouraged during the pandemic. Getting your body moving and getting fresh air can help you stay happy and healthy.
3. Visit the market and shop responsibly.
While farmers markets have traditionally been a place to gather, this year attendees should keep visits short to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19. Before your trip make sure to double-check the safety measures for your local farmers market. Here are some helpful tips:
- Wear a mask and keep 6 feet between you and others.
- Be efficient and do not linger.
- Wash your hands frequently or use sanitizer if the market doesn’t have access to handwashing.
- Send only one person into the market to shop.
4. Share about your experience.
- Fill out this short form to share your farmers market story using a statement, pictures or a video.
- Select submissions will be shared in upcoming editions of Minneapolis Matters.
- Share and connect with others by joining the Farmers Market Walks community group within Virgin Pulse:
- Log in to Virgin Pulse.
- Hover over "Friends" on the top of the page.
- Select "Groups."
- Go to "Browse Groups."
- Find "Farmers Market Walks" and click “Join Us.”
Once you do this, you can share photos or stories from your Wellness Walk experience and comment on other posts. Use this opportunity to connect with someone new while supporting your local farmers market.
5. Get your 250 wellness points.
To self-report that you completed a Wellness Walk for 250 points in the employee wellness program:
- Go to medica.com/cityofmpls to register for an account or log in to Virgin Pulse.
- Go to the “Programs” page in the app or webpage.
- Change the filter from “Recommended for you” to “Select All.”
- Click “Attend a Wellness Program And/Or Class”
- Select “Start Now.”
- Enter the name as “Farmer’s Market Walk/Bike” and date you participated.
- Check the confirm box and click “Submit.”
The Wellness Walk program is coordinated by the Stride Committee and Homegrown Minneapolis. Contact Leda Schuster with questions.
Published Jun 29, 2020