Pictured: 2017 Effectively Planning for Community Engagement Lab
The Community Connections Learning Lab Series consists of eight free, 90-minute labs on effectively engaging multiple segments of the community in Minneapolis. Those who complete at least seven of the eight Community Connections learning labs will earn a Community Connector Certificate. Registration is required. View schedule and register...
City staff, neighborhood organizations and community partners are invited to learn effective community engagement strategies, including considerations about:
- Immigration and refugee status.
- Gender dynamics, religion and norms.
- Historical experiences and trust in government.
- Culturally specific media, communication styles.
- Significant institutions, nonprofits, sacred spaces.
- Major events, holidays or festivals.
Topics & Schedule
The spring 2020 learning lab series has been canceled due to limited staff capacity during the COVID-19 peacetime state of emergency. Those who were enrolled have been notified.
- Effectively Planning for Community Engagement
- Disability Awareness
- American Indian Community and Effective Engagement
- Latino Community and Effective Engagement
- Southeast Asian Community and Effective Engagement
- East African Community and Effective Engagement
- Considerations for Engaging Immigrant and Refugee Communities
- African American Community and Effective Engagement
Did you miss the last learning lab series?
You can sign up to get email reminders when a new series is announced here.
- Expand participants' understanding of equitable community engagement.
- Discover best practices, and avoid common pitfalls.
- Learn techniques that follow the City of Minneapolis’ Core Principles of Community Engagement based on the International Association of Public Participation (IAP2) guidelines.
- Expand participants' understanding of several of the many cultural communities in Minneapolis.
- Learn historical beginnings, cultural norms and become familiar with culturally-specific media and institutions.
To request reasonable accommodations or alternative formats to participate in the learning labs, please use the registration form or email [email protected] or call NCR at 612-673-3737.
Have questions or trouble enrolling?
Contact us at [email protected] or call 612-673-3737
Last updated Apr 10, 2020