The NCR community engagement team builds connections between the City of Minneapolis and communities where cultural norms or practices, language or disabilities limit knowledge and access to government. These community specialists work with other City of Minneapolis departments to inform and involve all Minneapolis residents in citywide initiatives like Minneapolis 2040, the increased minimum wage and paid sick and safe time ordinances.
Cultural Engagement Team
Meet the community specialists serving many communities, including:
Multilingual Radio Shows
NCR community specialists host four radio shows that broadcast City news in Minneapolis's most widely-spoken languages.
- English: “Minneapolis 360” is every second & fourth Wednesday from 1:30-2 p.m. on KMOJ 89.9 FM and can be streamed at kmojfm.com.
- Spanish: "Mi Ciudad" is on La Raza 95.7 FM, 1400 and 1470 AM on every other Tuesday from 3-4 p.m. or online at Laraza1400.com.
- Hmong: "Kuv Lub Nroog Minneapolis" is every third Thursday from 2-3 p.m. on Hmong Radio AM 1590 and online here.
- Somali: "Magaaladayda Minneapolis" is broadcast on Somali American Radio, KALY-LP 101.7 FM every second Thursday from 2-3 p.m. You can listen online at Kalyradio.org.
One of the largest barriers to participation can be language. NCR staff work to remove language barriers following the City's 2015 Language Access Plan. The department has community specialists that speak Spanish, Somali, Lao and Hmong. Bilingual staff work with Communications and other departments to update the non-English snow emergency telephone line messages, record multilingual public service announcements and host radio shows on popular community radio stations. The City also maintains several phone lines to support non-English-speakers and those who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Spanish Line: 612-673-2700
- Somali Line: 612-673-3500
- Hmong Line: 612-673-2800
- TTY Line: 612-263-6850
Last updated Jul 8, 2020