About community engagement
Minneapolis has a set of citywide goals and expectations for and a blueprint for equitable community engagement. For the City of Minneapolis, the purpose of community engagement is to empower people to influence City decision-making. Community building, outreach and education are important parts of community engagement.
Community engagement is the process of involving residents and communities during the planning and implementation of City policies, programs and services. It is the process of working together to address issues.
The community is a valuable source of expertise to influence government decisions that improve the quality and delivery of public services. Successful community engagement can:
- Improve relationships with communities
- Lead to stronger, more sustainable outcomes
- Uncover previously unknown special needs
- Allow a greater diversity of views
- Support mutual learning among participants
- Create mutual respect among stakeholders
- Right to be involved – Public participation is based on the belief that those who are affected by a decision have a right to be involved in the decision-making process.
- Contribution will be thoughtfully considered - Public participation includes the promise that the public's contribution will be thoughtfully considered.
- Recognize the needs of all - Public participation promotes sustainable decisions by recognizing and communicating the needs and interests of all participants, including decision-makers.
- Seek out involvement - Public participation seeks out and facilitates the involvement of those potentially affected by or interested in a decision.
- Participants design participation - Public participation seeks input from participants in designing how they participate.
- Adequate information - Public participation provides participants with the information they need to participate in a meaningful way.
- Known effect of participation - Public participation communicates to participants how their input affected the decision.
Copyright IAP2. All rights reserved. Adopted by Minneapolis City Council, December 2007
Get updates about community engagement
Sign up to receive e-mail updates from the Neighborhood and Community Relations Department.
Last updated Sep 22, 2020