Neighborhoods 2020 is an opportunity to further develop and improve upon the City of Minneapolis’ neighborhood based engagement structure. Neighborhood organizations are by the people, for the people. Join the Neighborhoods 2020 mailing list. This does not enroll you in our general update emails.
The official public comment period was extended multiple times to September 30, 2020 due to the COVID-19 outbreak and civil unrest.
City budget hearings
The Minneapolis City Council approved the Neighborhoods 2020 Program Guidelines on Nov. 13, 2020. The guidelines are centered on building equity in our community. The City has worked closely with neighborhoods, community members and the University of Minnesota’s Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA) to develop these guidelines.
The guidelines align with the City’s adopted Strategic Racial Equity Plan and the Minneapolis 2040 Comprehensive Plan, which states that “Minneapolis will have an equitable civic participation system that enfranchises everyone, recognizes the core and vital service neighborhood organizations provide to the City of Minneapolis, and builds people’s long-term capacity to organize and improve their lives and neighborhoods.”
- Racial equity impact analysis
- Request for committee action
- Watch the Public Health and Safety Committee public hearing and presentation about these guidelines
Total program funding and base level funding for each neighborhood organization will be discussed through the City's regular budget process. See dates in the timeline. You can also submit comments online.
CURA racial equity research and activities
In September 2019, the City of Minneapolis contracted with the University of Minnesota’s Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (CURA) for the final phase of Neighborhoods 2020.
- Read the scope of services for the Neighborhoods 2020 consulting contracting opportunity which lists CURA's project deliverables.
- Neighborhoods 2020 Racial Equity Analysis
- Neighborhoods 2020 Report Back
Public comments about current draft guidelines
During the public comment period on the Neighborhoods 2020 draft program guidelines, the Neighborhood and Community Relations Department (NCR) received 354 public comments. NCR accepted comments by email, mail, phone call, text message and virtual meeting.
- Public Comment Summary and Framework Recommendations (Nov 5, 2020)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Combined Public Comment (Nov 5, 2020)
Watch broadcast of the April 2 information session about the draft program guidelines here. Click "Join the event" to watch. (Meeting begins at the 22 minute mark.)
Second draft of framework recommendations
On May 6, 2019, NCR presented the revised Neighborhoods 2020 Framework Recommendations and comments at the City Council’s Public Health, Environment, Civil Rights and Engagement (PECE) Committee at a public hearing.
Public comments about second draft of framework recommendations
Recommendations from 2020 work groups
City Council resolution and staff directives
See the attached framework resolution and staff directives.
First draft of framework recommendations
Members of the public were invited to submit public comment on the first draft of the Neighborhoods 2020 Framework Recommendations through postal mail, email, voicemail, text message and public meetings.
Community engagement about first draft of framework recommendations
NCR staff attended over 30 neighborhood and community public comment sessions along with five planned multilingual public comment meetings. NCR staff also took public comment at the Community Connections Conference on February 2 as part of a Neighborhoods 2020 open house.
From February 27 to March 21, 2019, NCR staff organized meetings at East Side Neighborhood Services and Martin Luther King, Jr. Park in English, at Harrison Recreation Center in English, Lao and Hmong, at the Cedar Riverside Opportunity Center in Somali, and at the Waite House in Spanish. Public comment was from January 28 to March 31, 2019. At these 40 community public comment meetings, NCR reached over 1,000 residents.
Translated framework recommendations
- Reminder: upcoming public hearings on budget, including Neighborhoods 2020 (11/12/2020)
- Reminder: Neighborhoods 2020 public hearing this Thursday, Nov. 5 (11/3/2020)
- Neighborhoods 2020 next steps and timeline (10/7/2020)
- Two weeks left to submit Neighborhoods 2020 public comments
- Extending Neighborhoods 2020 public comment deadline to September 30 (6/30/2020)
- Extended comment period on Neighborhoods 2020 program guidelines (3/27/2020)
- Neighborhoods 2020 program guidelines release moved to Feb. 28 (2/21/2020)
- Neighborhoods 2020 update on timeline (1/30/2020)
- Racial equity analysis from the Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (1/16/2020)
- Neighborhoods 2020 updates from the Center for Urban and Regional Affairs (12/13/19)
- City press release on CURA selection for Neighborhoods 2020 (9/16/19)
- Reminder: Today is Neighborhoods 2020 update before the Public Health, Environment, Civil Rights and Engagement Committee (9/16/19)
- Center for Urban and Regional Affairs selected for Neighborhoods 2020 consulting contract (9/6/19)
- A letter from Mayor Frey on neighborhoods and his proposed 2020 budget (8/27/19)
- Latest Neighborhoods 2020 Developments (8/1/19)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Update (7/23/19)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Scope of Services Published (6/24/19)
- June update on Neighborhoods 2020 (6/18/19)
- Update on Neighborhoods 2020 (5/31/19)
- Minneapolis moves forward on Neighborhoods 2020 (5/17/19)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Revised Framework released (5/2/19)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Public Comment Report (4/19/19)
- Neighborhoods 2020: Thank you and next steps (4/1/19)
- Public Comment Open for Neighborhoods 2020 Framework Recommendations (1/28/19)
- Update on Neighborhoods 2020 from David Rubedor (1/8/19)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Community Meetings on Draft Recommendations Start Tomorrow(11/30/18)
- Week of November 26, 2018 Now available: draft work group recommendations(11/26/2018)
- Week of November 19, 2018 Weigh in on Neighborhoods 2020 work groups draft recommendations (11/16/18)
- Week of October 22, 2018 Neighborhoods 2020 Update on Work Groups (10/23/18)
- Week of October 15, 2018 Neighborhoods 2020 Update on Work Groups (10/15/18)
- Week of October 2, 2018 Neighborhoods 2020 Update on Work Groups (10/2/18)
- Week of September 17, 2018 Neighborhoods 2020 Update on Work Groups (9/18/18)
- Week of September 9, 2018 Neighborhoods 2020 Update on Work Groups (9/7/18)
- Update on Work Groups (8/27/18)
- Update on Neighborhoods 2020 Work Groups (8/1/18)
- Update on Neighborhoods 2020 Work Groups (7/19/18)
- Don't forget to submit your Neighborhoods 2020 work group application (6/15/18)
- Two Weeks Left to Join Neighborhoods 2020 Work Groups (6/1/18)
- Deadline for Work Group Applications Extended to June 18 (5/23/18)
- Opportunity to Join the Neighborhoods 2020 Work Groups (5/17/18)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Update (5/11/18)
- Neighborhoods 2020 Update (3/20/18)
Last updated Nov 13, 2020