Community Planning & Economic Development

Minneapolis Development Review
Public Service Center Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Fax: 612-370-1416
TTY: 612-673-3300 

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.

Non-English Resources

Non-English Information, this icon shows text for espanol, hmoob and soomaaliga

Find services and City information translated in other languages.

Plumbing Permits

Note: Many projects require more than one permit. To determine which permits you need for your project, call Minneapolis 311 (if outside the Minneapolis city limits call 612-673-3000). 

A plumbing permit is required to:

When a plumbing permit is not required:

Unless the plumbing work poses an unsanitary or hazardous condition, the administrative authority Minneapolis Construction Code Services waives the permit, inspection, and testing requirements for the following plumbing work performed in one- and two-family dwellings,

  1. The reconnection of an existing water supply line to a replacement appliance that is in like kind and does not involve the replacement or alteration of the existing water supply line.
  2. Replacement of the internal working components of existing water closets, faucets, or valves.
  3. Replacement of sink faucets when the work does not include alterations to the existing plumbing piping system; or
  4. Replacement or resetting of water closets when the work does not include alterations to the existing plumbing piping systems.
  5. Replacement of a clean-out plug
  6. Minor repair of broken drain, waste, and vent pipes
  7. Minor repair of leaking fixtures
  8. Minor repair of leaking water pipes
  9. The reconnection or replacement of a dishwasher or ice maker
  10. New or replacement of garbage disposals

Additional information regarding plumbing work that may be exempt can be found in the Minnesota Plumbing Code MN Rules Chapter 1300.0215.

Emergency Repairs

Emergency repairs can be done without first obtaining the necessary permits but the permits must be obtained after the work has been completed within a reasonable timeframe.

Licensing Requirements

A homeowner who is the occupant of a single-family detached dwelling or single-family attached dwelling may apply for a permit to perform plumbing work as listed above on that property. (Note: single-family detached and attached dwellings as defined in Minneapolis Code of Ordinances, Section 89.30)

The City of Minneapolis issues licenses to plumbing contractors. A contractor applying for a license must either hold a City of Minneapolis Certificate of Competency at the master level or employ a tradesperson who does. Obtain a business license 

Last updated Sep 18, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo