Community Planning & Economic Development

Minneapolis Development Review
Public Service Center Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Fax: 612-370-1416
TTY: 612-673-3300 

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.

Non-English Resources

Non-English Information, this icon shows text for espanol, hmoob and soomaaliga

Find services and City information translated in other languages.

Permits Overview

Effective Monday, March 30, 2020 and until further notice, the CPED Customer Service Center (CSC) – also referred to as Minneapolis Development Review (MDR) – will not be accepting any dropped off, faxed, or mailed paper permit applications or other supporting documentation such as plans, construction documents, etc.

View the electronic permit submittal options.

The Minneapolis City Council enacts ordinances to regulate construction, maintenance, and remodeling so that the buildings where we live, work, and play will be safe. The City uses permits to make sure that the work is done in compliance with those ordinances.

The City of Minneapolis enforces national and international codes adopted by the State of Minnesota. As of March 31st, 2020, Minnesota has adopted new building codes. The 2020 MN Mechanical and Fuel Gas Code will take effect on April 6th, 2020. For details on which codes this effects and what you need to know for pulling permits, please read the Building Code Update.

Codes are available online, see the links below, or in print form at Minnesota’s Bookstore.

Makeup of the State Building Code (PDF)

View State Building Code

State Electrical Code

State Plumbing Code

Building projects of any size may require that you obtain one or more permits before you can begin the work.

A list of many of the types of permits and the associated fees can be found in the Title 5 Fee Schedule . For a specific permit fee schedule, click on one of the fee types to the left.

Before beginning a project, you should call Minneapolis 311 (outside the Minneapolis city limits call 612-673-3000) to see if you need to obtain a permit. For projects using a contractor, the contractor is responsible for obtaining the permit.

Sometimes a site plan, a zoning site review, and an inspections plan review are required before a permit can be issued.

For more information, see the links at the left.

Last updated Dec 2, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo