Community Planning & Economic Development

Minneapolis Development Review
Public Service Center Building
250 S. 4th St., Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 673-3000
Fax: (612) 370-1416
TTY: (612) 673-3300

Service Center Hours
Mon - Wed, Fri
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM 

Customers requiring Plan Review, Zoning, Preservation & Design (HPC) or Housing/Rental License services must sign-in by 3:30 PM 

Free Customer Parking!
Map and Parking Information 
Photo of Public Service Center Building

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.

Non-English Resources

Non-English Information, this icon shows text for espanol, hmoob and soomaaliga

Find services and City information translated in other languages.

Mechanical Permits

Mechanical work includes:  Heating, Air-Conditioning, Ventilation, Refrigeration, Gas Piping
Mechanical Application Form


There are three levels of work that can be done, each with a set fee associated with the work being proposed.  Refer to the application for a description of the work covered by each level and complete section 1 on page 2 of the application form.  Application can be made by mail., fax, in-person, or online.

Existing Residential (1&2 Dwelling) Fee Schedule



If the mechanical work being performed is part of a larger project that increases the square footage of the existing dwelling the applicant must complete section 2 on page 2 of the application form.  Plans are required.  Applications can be made by mail, fax, or in-person.

New Residential Construction (1 & 2 Dwelling) Fee Schedule

Residential Mechanical Inspections Process



Complete section 3 on page 2 on the application form for all commercial, multi-family (3 or more dwelling units).  Plans may be required.  Applications can be made by mail, fax, or in-person.

New and Existing Commercial or Multi-family Fee Schedule



Due to concerns over potential public safety issues we are implementing new rules for temporary heat sources.  Permits for temporary heat sources are applied for with a New or Existing Commercial of Multi-family Application Form.  As of November 10, 2014 temporary heat sources will require a separate permit and shall not be included with other mechanical work being performed.

Temporary Heat Requirements Document


Examples of mechanical work that require a permit

This list is not intended as a complete list of work that requires a mechanical permit.  For more information you may consult the Minnesota State Building Code Chapter 1346 or speak with a plan examiner to determine if the work you are proposing requires a permit.  For a list of mechanical work that does not require a permit please refer to (“When Do I NOT Need A Permit”)

Additional Information

Most mechanical work is required to be done by a licensed professional Find a Licensed Contractor.  Licensing includes contractor licenses and certificate of competency.

A homeowner that occupies a single-family dwelling may qualify for an exemption to the licensing requirement.  If you meet the requirements of Minneapolis Code of Ordinances Section 89.30 you may be allowed  to perform mechanical work as described in the ordinance.


Last updated Feb 14, 2017



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo