Installing a Driveway
|Is a ...||Required?|
|Zoning and Site Plan Review||Yes**|
|Construction Plan Review||No|
|Park Board (Forestry)||Yes**|
Homeowners can perform work on their own properties without hiring a contractor.
**One and two family residential properties: Zoning and site plan review is not required for new and replacement driveways that meet the size (width), location and materials standards of Chapter 541 of the Minneapolis Zoning Code.
**If any part of the drive approach or public sidewalk is affected, or if a new or expanded curb cut is required, a Zoning, Public Works and Park Board site plan review is required.
Before You Start
Review the following information:
- Minimum Standards for Dwellings (PDF)
- Building a Garage
- Finding a licensed contractor
- Hiring a Residential Contractor – what do I need to know? (PDF)
- Site Plan
- Zoning Approval
- Property Line Information
- Property Line Location (PDF)
- Specifications for Monolithic Concrete Sidewalk, Concrete Driveways, Concrete Curb And Gutter, Concrete Alleys (PDF)
Last updated Jan 30, 2019