Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
505 S Fourth Ave, Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: 612-673-2080


Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Vehicle Services

Listed below are the applications for a new license. Before you begin, look at our instructions on how to apply for a business license

License Applications

Car Wash: A business with equipment to wash cars and trucks. This includes self-service car washes. A license is not required for a repair garage or a gas station with a car wash. 

Fuel Dealer: The sale of fuel such as firewood, coal or oil.  Licenses are not required for
     - gas stations selling fuel oil of less than 10 gallons
     - gas stations storing less than 265 gallons of fuel
     - any person selling packaged firewood 

Gasoline Filling Station:  The sale of gasoline or other fuels to the public­­­.

Motor Scooter Leasing:  A business that leases or provides motor scooters. 

Motor Vehicle Dealers: The sale or offer to sell more than three motor cars or trucks in a 12-month period. If you offer repair services, you must have a Motor Vehicle Repair Garage License.

Motor Vehicle Immobilization (Booting): A locking wheel boot that prevents a car from moving. 

Motor Vehicle Repair Garage: The repair of cars and trucks. You do not need a license if your company only
     - provides fuel, checks fluid levels, replaces filters and other minor services (gas station) or
     - repairs cars and trucks of your own private fleet.  

Motor Vehicle Used Parts Dealer: Buying, selling, or storing used, rebuilt, or new car or truck parts.

Parking Lot: Any open air place with 10 or more parking spaces.

Free Parking Lot: A license is not required for parking lots that do not charge a fee. Examples include employee or customer parking lots.

Parking Lot Class C – Temporary Events: A parking lot near the TCF stadium with event parking for up to 15 days per year.

Valet Parking: Car parking for customers.

Valet Parking: Adding additional zones.


Call or email Inspector Julie Casey at 612-673-3905 or contact Business Licenses.

For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, call or email 311. People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu 612-673-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.


Last updated Sep 23, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo