Every time the Minneapolis police receive an alarm call, they arrive at the home or business. If the alarm is set off by mistake, the police still respond. There is a high number of false alarm calls, both in Minneapolis and nationwide. Minneapolis charges alarm owners a fee for excessive false alarms.
First false alarm
$30 registration fee
Second false alarm
Third false alarm
This fee increases $100 for each additional false alarm. You may pay this fee
Preventing False Alarms
There are many causes of false alarms.
- improper use
- outdated equipment
- open doors or windows
- weak batteries
- power outages
To prevent a false alarm in your home or business,
- Choose a code that is easy to remember but not obvious to an outsider
- Train everyone who uses your alarm
- Know what to do if your alarm is set off by mistake
- Close doors and windows when you set your alarm
- Minimize distractions when you leave
- Replace batteries and check sensors
- Report faulty equipment to your alarm company
- Keep your alarm company’s phone number near your control panel
- Keep your contact information up-to-date with your alarm company
Refund / Appeal Policy
If you would like to appeal your false alarm fee, send a letter within 15 days to the Minneapolis False Alarm Unit. We accept appeals by US Mail or email at [email protected]. You will receive a refund if City staff made an error. We will credit your refund to your false alarm account or send you a check.
- Crime Prevention Resources - questions to ask before buying an alarm system.
- Minneapolis ordinance / regulations
For more information, email Pearline McArthur or call her at 612-673-2080.
You may also contact Business Licenses.
For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, call or email 311. People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000. TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu 612-673-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Sep 22, 2020