Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
505 S Fourth Ave, Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: 612-673-2080


Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Contractor Licenses

License Applications

Asphalt Shingles and Roofing Material: A business that makes asphalt shingles or roofing materials.

Billboard Erector:   Installing, fixing, or removing billboards.

Building Wrecker: Tearing down buildings.

Duct Cleaner / HVAC Class B: Cleaning air circulation or exhaust systems.

Fire Extinguisher Servicing: Testing, fixing, and charging portable fire extinguishers. 

Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Class A:   Cleaning air circulation or exhaust systems and supervising the work of others.

Gas Fitter: Installing and repairing gas burning equipment and systems.

Oil Burner Installer:  The installation or repair of any oil burner or equipment.

Plumber: Installing and fixing water pipes, faucets and toilets.  If you also have a master gas fitter certificate of competency, you may also install or repair gas burning equipment.

Refrigeration Systems Installer: Installing and fixing refrigerator equipment.

Residential Specialty Contractor: A person who:

This license allows a person to do one of the following:

Roofers do not need a Minneapolis license.  A State of Minnesota license is required.

If you have a State of Minnesota Residential Building license, you do not need a Minneapolis license. 

Resin Manufacturing: The production of resin. 

Sign Hanger:  Installing, fixing, or removing signs from a building.

Steam and Hot Water Systems Installer: Installing or fixing the following equipment:

Tree Servicing: Cutting, trimming, and removing trees or branches and/or applying pesticides.  If you have a Garbage Haulers license you do not need a license to remove trees from the property.

Here is a list of Licensed Tree Contractors. 

If you do not see your license listed, contact Business Licenses.   

Helpful Links 

Competency Cards

Department of Labor and Industry

Forms for Registering a Doing Business as (Assumed) Name

License Fees 

State Sales Tax ID Tax Number

Federal Tax ID Number


Contact Business Licenses.

For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, call or email 311. People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000. TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu 612-673-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.


Last updated Feb 16, 2021



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo