Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
350 S. 5th Street, Room 1
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: (612) 673-2080
Fax: (612) 673-3399


Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Alcohol service policy

Here is a list of items to create an effective alcohol service policy. This protects both your employees and your business.
1. What is your policy on prohibiting sales or service of alcohol to individuals under the age of 21 years old? How will you communicate and reinforce this?
2. When will employees receive a copy of the policy? Are they required to sign that they received the policy and read it?
3. Are employees required to attend Alcohol Server Training when you hire them? Each year after that?
4. What other types of ongoing training will you provide?
5. Do you have a list of valid forms of ID? An expired ID is not valid.
6. How will you show employees the right way to check ID?
7. Where is the US Driver License Booklet located?
8. Will you set a specific age/appearance for carding or will you card everyone? Will you card all guests after 9:00 p.m.?
9. Where will you post signs about your alcohol service policy?
10. Where will you post signs informing customers about alcohol laws?
11. How will you discourage over-intoxication? Will you deny an intoxicated guest entry?
12. What will you do if someone is purchasing alcohol for an underage person?
13. How can you to discourage an obviously intoxicated person from driving home?
14. How will you stop employees or customers from drinking on the premises after hours?
15. Will you conduct Youth Alcohol Compliance Checks (Self Audits)? How often?
16. Are there rewards for employees who pass Youth Alcohol Compliance checks? 
17. What are the consequences for violating this alcohol service policy?
Contact Business Licenses.
For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, call or email 311. People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at 612- 673-3000.TTY users can call 612- 673-2157 or 612- 673-2626.
Para asistencia 612- 673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu 612- 637-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Aug 21, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo