Entertainment, Recreation & Animals
Listed below are the applications for a new license. Before you begin, look at our instructions on how to apply for a business license.
- Amusement Mechanical (Arcade type) Machines: Mechanical, electronic, and video games for customers to play with a coin or token. Each machine must have a license. Here are a few examples.
- electric gun ranges
- games of baseball or hockey
- miniature pool tables
- photo machines
- pinball machines
- recording machines
- Amusement, (Place of): Any place that has three or more amusement mechanical devices (arcade machines).
- Block Event: A temporary gathering of people in the street or an alley. This license is for commercial block events. A different permit is required for National Night Out or residential block events.
- Carnival: A traveling show with acts, games, vending machines, or amusement rides.
- Circus: A traveling show with acrobats, clowns, entertainers and/or trained animals.
- Courtesy Bench: Any bench near the street used by the public.
- Dance Hall: A place where people pay to dance.
- Dancing School: A school where people pay to learn dance.
- Entertainment, Place of: A business offering entertainment to the public. Examples include
• children’s theater
• dance productions
• musical concerts
• public dances
A Place of Entertainment license is not required for the following:
• dance halls
• food establishments with less than 2,500 square feet
• places licensed for on-sale beer, wine or liquor
• religious organizations
• movie theaters
- Extended Hours of Operation: Any business that is open later than their legal hours.
- Horse and Carriage Livery Services: A horse-drawn carriage for hire.
- Pet Shop ( Commercial Animal Care Provider): The sale, grooming, breeding, or any other care of animals, reptile, fish or birds.
- Pool Tables: A business that offers pool or billiards for customers.
- Rental Hall: A building, available for rent, for a private event. A license is not required for theaters or businesses with an alcohol license. A Temporary Rental Hall License is available for places used for four or less days per year.
- Shooting Gallery: A place for shooting guns at a target. Shooting galleries for only by military or police departments do not need a license.
- Swimming Pool: Any structure that contains water for swimming by the public. Each pool, hot tub or whirlpool needs a license. This includes hotels, health clubs, apartments and public pools.
- Theater: A place for live performances or movies.
Contact Business Licenses.
For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, call or email 311. People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at 612- 673-3000.TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu 612-637-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Jul 7, 2020