Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
505 S Fourth Ave, Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: 612-673-2080


Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Entertainment & Recreation

Listed below are the applications for a new license.  Before you begin, look at our instructions on how to apply for a business license

License Applications

Amusement Mechanical (Arcade type) Machines: Mechanical, electronic, and video games for customers to play with a coin or token. Each machine must have a license. Here are a few examples.

Amusement, (Place of): Any place that has three or more amusement mechanical devices (arcade machines).

Block Event: A temporary gathering of people in the street or an alley. This license is for commercial block events. A security plan and security personnel are required for large block events. A different permit is required for National Night Out or residential block events.

Carnival: A traveling show with acts, games, vending machines, or amusement rides.  

Circus: A traveling show with acrobats, clowns, entertainers and/or trained animals.

Courtesy Bench: Any bench near the street used by the public.  

Dance Hall:  A place where people pay to dance. 

Dancing School: A school where people pay to learn dance.

Entertainment, Place of: A business offering entertainment to the public. Examples include:

A Place of Entertainment license is not required for the following:

Extended Hours of Operation: Any business that is open later than their legal hours.   

Pool Tables: A business that offers pool or billiards for customers.

Rental Hall: A building, available for rent, for a private event. A license is not required for theaters or businesses with an alcohol license. A Temporary Rental Hall License is available for places used for four or less days per year.

Shooting Gallery: A place for shooting guns at a target. Shooting galleries for only by military or police departments do not need a license.

Swimming Pool: Any structure that contains water for swimming by the public.  Each pool, hot tub or whirlpool needs a license. This includes hotels, health clubs, apartments and public pools.


Contact Business Licenses.

For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, call or email 311. People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000. TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu 612-673-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 


Last updated Oct 9, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo