Community Planning & Economic Development

Business Licenses & Consumer Services
505 S Fourth Ave, Room 220
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: 612-673-2080


Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Temporary Permits 

Listed below are the applications for a new license or permit.  Before you begin, look at our instructions on how to apply for a business license.

License and Permit Applications

Block Event: A temporary gathering of people in the street or an alley. This license is for commercial block events.  A Security Plan and Security Personnel.  A separate permit is required for National Night Out or residential block events. 

Carnival: A traveling show with acts, games, vending machines, or amusement rides.   

Children’s Rides: Amusement rides for children operated by a coin or animal. 

Christmas Tree Dealers: The sale, trade or giving away of any tree used as a Christmas tree. This does not include artificial trees less than 36 inches used by florists for decoration.

Circus: A traveling show with acrobats, clowns, entertainers and/or trained animals.

Event Food Sponsor Permit: Food and drinks served to the public at community events need an Event Food Sponsor Permit.

Farmers’ Market: A market where growers can sell their goods to customers. Each Vendor must have a Seasonal Food Permit.

Farmers Market Distributor: The sale or resale of prepackaged foods at farmers markets.  This includes farmers who sell produce purchased from a wholesaler.

Farmers Market Manufacturer: The sale of ready to eat foods at farmers markets.

Film Permits: Film or video projects in the City of Minneapolis. 

Flea Market: A temporary sale of arts, crafts, antiques or secondhand goods.

Flower Cart Vendor: The sale of fresh cut flowers on sidewalks or Nicollet Mall from a movable cart.

Gambling, Charitable: A permit for licensed gambling groups and nonprofits. Gambling includes paying games of chance for money.

Going Out of Business Sale: The sale of merchandise due to a business closing or a disaster such as fire or water.

Innovative and Emerging Small Business Pilot Program: Businesses that currently are not allowed in Minneapolis.

Parking Lot Class C – Temporary Events: A parking lot near the TCF stadium with event parking for up to 15 days per year.

Seasonal Food Permit: The sale of food or drinks at farmers markets or three or more community events. You may have two stands for each permit.

Short Term Food Permit: The sale of food or drink at community events. You may have two stands for each permit. You may operate up to 10 days at one event.

Street Photographer: The business of taking photographs of anyone on the street or sidewalk.

Tattoo/Body Art Establishment, Temporary Event Sponsor: A temporary license for a convention or guest artist event. The state requires each tattooist and body piercer to get a Guest Artist License.

Temporary Expansion of License: Businesses with an on-sale liquor, wine, or 3.2 beer may apply for a permit to

Temporary Extended Hours: Any licensed business that does not serve alcohol may stay open than regular hours.

Temporary On-Sale 3.2 Beer (Liquor or Wine): Charitable, religious, non-profit organizations, microdistilleries and breweries may serve beer (liquor or wine) at an event.  A licensed on-sale beer, liquor, or wine business must provide liquor insurance and servers.   Example: Fundraising events. 


Contact Business Licenses.

For reasonable accommodations, or alternative formats, call or email 311. People who are deaf, or hard of hearing, can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000. TTY users can call 612-673-2157 or 612-673-2626.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700. Yog xav tau kev pab hu 612-673-2800. Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Last updated Nov 18, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo