Regulatory Services

Problem Properties Unit
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Suite 401
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 673-2233

Problem Properties Unit

The Problem Properties Unit is housed in the Housing Inspections Services division of Regulatory Services and is charged with identifying the City’s worst properties and developing an action plan to resolve their issues. PPU includes staff from various City departments that work together to reduce the number and severity of problem properties in Minneapolis.

A problem property can be a business, privately-owned home, or rental property that requires ongoing attention from housing and fire inspectors, police officers, or other government agencies for complaints that range from criminal activity to chronic disrepair. These properties fracture neighborhoods, harm quality of life, and drain City resources.

In addition, PPU tracks and manages boarded, vacant, and condemned housing in the City of Minneapolis using the Vacant Building Registration Program. PPU also reviews condemned properties to determine which properties can be declared a nuisance and demolished under the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances. Properties identified for demolition are sent a Director’s Order to Raze and the owners are given 21 days to appeal the order or 30 days to comply.

For more information on the Problem Properties Unit, please call (612) 673-2233.

City Ordinances Related to Boarded, Vacant, and Condemned Properties

The City has several programs and ordinances that address the issue of vacant, boarded, and condemned properties. They include:

Minneapolis Code of Ordinances, Chapter 249: Vacant Dwelling or Building, Nuisance Condition

Chapter 249 covers several issues related to vacant and boarded buildings, including:

Minneapolis Code of Ordinances, Chapters 87: Administration and Enforcement and Chapter 89: Permits and Certificates of Occupancy

These are the two main chapters governing the City's regulation of condemned properties. They include guidance on:

For more information, see the Minneapolis Code of Ordinances.

Last updated Mar 31, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo