Public Works Department

Minneapolis Impound Lot
51 Colfax Ave North
Minneapolis, MN 55405

Phone: (612) 673-5777
Fax: (612) 370-3974
TTY: (612) 673-2157
directions (pdf)

Unwanted Vehicles

My car was wrecked and is in the impound lot. I don’t want it anymore. Can I just leave it there?

Yes, although it is the responsibility of the registered owner to pay all towing and storage fees in full prior to releasing ownership to the Impound Lot for disposal.

Unpaid charges will be referred to a collection agency.

Getting Rid of an Unwanted Vehicle

It is your responsibility to properly dispose of your vehicle

There are many charities and auto recyclers willing to accept your old vehicle. Here is a list of organizations and auto recyclers in the Minneapolis area that will help you dispose of your vehicle.

Donate Your Vehicle

Many of these organizations will pick up your vehicle.

American Children's Cancer Association(800) 448-3254
American Humane Association(866) 242-1877
American Kidney Fund(888) 638-1171
Arc Greater Twin Cities(612) 866-8820
Brain Injury Association of Minnesota(800) 669-6442
Cancer Research Institute(800) 992-2623
Feed the Children(800) 584-8085
Goodwill Easter Seals of Minnesota(651) 379-5806
Huntington's Disease Society of America(800) 865-4342
Lutheran Braille Workers, Inc.(800) 513-6560
Make-A-Wish Foundation of Minnesota(800) 513-6560
March of Dimes(888) 898-1144
Muscular Dystrophy Family Foundation(800) 544-1213
Multiple Sclerosis Society - MN Chapter(877) 672-8864
Newgate Education Center, Inc(612) 378-0177
Pancreatic Cancer Action Network(877) CARS-4-US
Starlight Children's Foundation(800) 513-6560
Urban Ventures Leadership Foundation(612) 822-1628
Volunteers of America of Minnesota(800) 407-2600

Dispose of Your Vehicle

Auto recyclers can be found in the yellow pages under "auto wreckers" and "recycling services"

Libson Twin City Auto & Truck Parts(612) 521-3537
Northern Auto Parts(612) 339-9795

This is a partial listing, and not meant as an endorsement of these organizations.

Last updated Oct 1, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Public Works  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo