Metropass: Pre-Tax Public Transit Benefit
The Transportation Equity Act of 2000 (IRS Code Section 132) allows the City of Minneapolis to provide valuable tax savings to its employees for mass transit expenses. The City offers you the opportunity to take advantage of this tax exemption by enrolling in the Metropass program and purchasing a pass on a pre-tax payroll deduction basis.
The Metropass allows a participant unlimited bus and light rail rides while enrolled. For the majority of City employees, the Metropass currently costs $50 per month. Different rates apply to certain employee groups.
This benefit is for regular full time and part time City of Minneapolis employees only. Temporary, intermittent, and contract employees are not eligible.
Independent Board and Agency employees should contact their Human Resources Department to determine if the board or agency has established a Metropass program.
How It Works
- Enroll or order a replacement pass through the CityLIfe employee hub, click "Submit an HR Request," and "Metropass and Parking Request."
- Enrollment must be received by the first Friday of the month to be effective the first of the following month. Authorized pre-tax deductions occur on the 2nd paycheck of the month and pre-pay the following month.
- Once you experience a payroll deduction, you will be notified regarding the date and time that you may pick up your new Metropass (your signature is required).
- When you submit a replacement request, you may use a temporary pass to use until your new permanent pass arrives. That pass is available to pick up in HR, the Public Service Center, Room 100.
- To use the pass, simply touch your card to the Go-To reader on your bus, or at the rail station, before you ride.
- The Metropass is valid for an express rush hour fare of $3.25. You may add up to $200 in value to your Metropass to pay long distance surcharges including the increased fare for the Northstar Line. You can add value online, at any Metro Transit Store, or at rail station ticket machines.
- To cancel participation, go to the CityLife employee hub and click "Submit an HR Request," then "Metropass and Parking Request". Cancellation must be received in the Human Resources Benefits Office before the first Friday of the month to be effective the first of the following month. There will be no refunds for late cancellations.
- Please return your Metropass to the Human Resources Benefits Office when participation is cancelled or the employment is terminated.
Last updated Jan 2, 2020