Transportation and Parking

The Transportation Benefits Plan provides you options to pay for commuting expenses with pre-tax dollars.  The plan is available to regular full-time and part-time employees of the City of Minneapolis  The plan allows employees to set aside up to $265 per month for qualified parking or vanpool expenses. The monthly limit may be adjusted by the IRS in future years.  

Qualified Parking

Qualified parking is defined as parking at or near your workplace or at a location form which you commute to work. Qualified parking expenses include the costs of daily parking as well as monthly parking contracts. An employee who commute to work on a bicycle and pays to park their bicycle can also submit those expenses for reimbursement under the plan.


A commuter vanpool is any highway vehicle that seats at least six passengers, besides the driver. At least 80% of the vehicle's mileage must be for the purpose of transporting employees between work and home on trips during which the number of individuals transported is at least one-half of the vehicle's adult seating capacity.  

Using Your Account


There is a two-step enrollment process for the Transportation Benefits Plan:

  1.  Go to the CityLife and enter a request.
    1. Click on the CityLife  icon on the desktop of any City computer.
    2. Click "Services" and then "Submit an HR Request"
    3. Click "Metropass and Parking Request" and follow the instructions.
  2. An e-mail confirmation will be sent to you from [email protected] with instructions on how to log in to the Online Member Service Center at and make your election.  After you receive your confirmation e-mail, you have until the 4th of each  month to make your election for the following month at

Reimbursement, Changes, and Deadlines

For current participants to change election amounts or cancel participation in the plan, that change will be made by the participant on the Online Member Service Center at Further. Requests for reimbursements are also requested through the Online Member Service Center at Further.

Claims must be submitted no later than six months after the date the expense was incurred and you cannot be reimbursed for any expenses that arise before you became a participant in the plan.  Any funds in your account at year end will be rolled over to the next calendar year.

If you separate from service, you may continue to submit claims up to six months after the date you separate from service.  Any remaining funds in your account which are not claimed at the end of that six month period will be forfeited.

Last updated Jan 2, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo