Frank B. Long & Frederick Kees


Minneapolis City Hall/The Municipal Building
Flour Exchange Building

Farmers and Mechanics Bank

Semple, Anne C. and Frank B., House

Nott, William S., House

Long, Frank B., House

Lumber Exchange Building

Masonic Temple

Originally a New York native, Frank B. Long moved to Chicago in 1859 when he was only seventeen-years-old to pursue a career in carpentry. Attracted to architecture, he moved to Minneapolis in 1868 as the rapidly growing population necessitated a building boom. Long’s architectural firm attracted recognition after forming a partnership with Frederick Kees in 1884. Together, they took advantage of two of the driving forces in architecture of the day, the popularity of the Richardsonian Romanesque style, and the development of the skyscraper. Working at a time of great industrial prosperity in Minneapolis, Long and Kees designed many high-profile commissions such as the Lumber Exchange (1885), the Masonic Temple (1888), the Farmers and Mechanics Bank (1891), and most notably, the Minneapolis City Hall and Hennepin County Courthouse (1899-1905). While Long and Kees went separate ways in 1898, both continued their practices. Long collaborated with his son, Louis, and for a brief period, Lowell Lamoreaux.

Last updated Feb 7, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo