Health Department

Food, Lodging & Pools
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.



COVID-19 pandemic

For information about public pool closures, and other business closures, visit the Food, Lodging and Pools web page. 

Public pools

A public pool includes any pool operated by a person who is an owner, lessee, operator, or concessionaire. A a private residential pool is not a public swimming pool.

Pools include:

Public pools can be in:

In Minneapolis, public pools are required to be licensed.

You must have a swimming pool license before operating a public pool. Submit your application to operate a swimming pool with Minneapolis Business Licensing.

Pool chemical concentration chart

Download a copy of the Minneapolis Health Department pool chemical concentration chart. (PDF)

Pool log

Water Quality log (PDF)

Trained operator required

Minnesota State Pool Code requires every public pool have a designated trained operator or alternate. The operator (or alternate) is responsible for the operation of the pool whenever the pool is open for use.

The trained operator is responsible for:


A public pool must be closed immediately when:

Report a complaint

Conditions of a public pool which may be a hazard to public health can be reported to the Minneapolis Health Department. Hazards include unsanitary appearance or other conditions. 

Report complaints online or by calling 311 (612-673-3000). 

Annual inspection

Public pools are inspected yearly. See Minneapolis Code of Ordinances, Chapter 231: Public Swimming Pool Code.

Find more information about public pools on the Minnesota Department of Health website.

Minnesota Department of Health Public Swimming Pools 


Minneapolis Health Department LogoShould you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Mar 19, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Health Department  ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo