Health Department

Food, Lodging & Pools
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Food Plan Review Requirements

In Minneapolis, a plan application must be reviewed and approved before you:

If you need to ask specific questions about remodeling or equipment upgrades, contact 311 and ask for a health inspector on the plan review team. To contact 311 call 612-673-3000 or email [email protected] 

Business Technical Assistance Program (B-Tap)

Would you like help planning or opening a business in Minneapolis? The City of Minneapolis Community Planning and Economic Development (CPED) created the B-Tap program to give consulting support to Minneapolis small and medium sized businesses.

B-Tap offers help on:

B-Tap webpage

B-Tap videos

Plan review process

Minneapolis Development Review uses ePlan (ProjectDox) to receive plans and send them to departments that review them, such as Environmental Health. 

See the steps for beginning and submitting a food plan review: 

ePlans (ProjectDox) - Electronic plan submission

Food Business Plan Review application (PDF)

Business license

Food businesses are required to be licensed. 

At least four weeks before opening, apply for your business license. Contact Minneapolis Business Licensing at 612-673-2080. 

Before a new business can open:

Understanding requirements

Food Establishment Construction Guide (PDF) 

Equipment use on cabinets (PDF)

Finish schedule summary (PDF)

Site evaluation

Minneapolis Environmental Health will only conduct a site evaluation after you have submitted plans and/or a license application.

Site evaluations are done by appointment only.

Green To Go

The Minneapolis Green To Go ordinance requires food and beverages prepared for immediate consumption and to-go must be placed in packaging that is reusable, recyclable or compostable. Recyclable materials must be recycled. Compostable plastics must be composted.

Visit for more information.

State agency construction guides for food businesses

You may also want to look at Minnesota food establishment construction guides. However, do not follow their instructions for submitting applications if your business will be in Minneapolis. :


Minneapolis Health Department LogoShould you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Jan 13, 2021



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Health Department  ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo