Food Plan Review Requirements
In Minneapolis, a plan application must be reviewed and approved before you:
- Start a new food business
- Remodel or expand an existing food business
- Upgrade or replace food equipment at an existing business
If you need to ask specific questions about remodeling or equipment upgrades, contact 311 and ask for a health inspector on the plan review team. To contact 311 call 612-673-3000 or email [email protected]
Business Technical Assistance Program (B-Tap)
Would you like help planning or opening a business in Minneapolis? The City of Minneapolis Community Planning and Economic Development (CPED) created the B-Tap program to give consulting support to Minneapolis small and medium sized businesses.
B-Tap offers help on:
- Starting or expanding a business
- Pursuing Minority- or Women- Owned Disadvantaged Business certification
- General business advice (such as payroll withholding, business licenses, marketing strategy)
- Loan options available
Plan review process
Minneapolis Development Review uses ePlan (ProjectDox) to receive plans and send them to departments that review them, such as Environmental Health.
See the steps for beginning and submitting a food plan review:
Food businesses are required to be licensed.
At least four weeks before opening, apply for your business license. Contact Minneapolis Business Licensing at 612-673-2080.
Before a new business can open:
- Your license must be approved by Business Licensing, and
- You must pass the final plan review inspection by Environmental Health.
Minneapolis Environmental Health will only conduct a site evaluation after you have submitted plans and/or a license application.
Site evaluations are done by appointment only.
Green To Go
The Minneapolis Green To Go ordinance requires food and beverages prepared for immediate consumption and to-go must be placed in packaging that is reusable, recyclable or compostable. Recyclable materials must be recycled. Compostable plastics must be composted.
Visit www.minneapolismn.gov/GreenToGo for more information.
State agency construction guides for food businesses
You may also want to look at Minnesota food establishment construction guides. However, do not follow their instructions for submitting applications if your business will be in Minneapolis. :
- Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) (PDF) https://www.health.state.mn.us/communities/environment/food/docs/license/feconstguide.pdf
- Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) (PDF)
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Sep 18, 2020