Health Department

Food, Lodging & Pools
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Civic Events

Minneapolis is host to hundreds of public events each year ranging from very small to very large, both indoors and outdoors.

Is a Seasonal Food Permit right for you? 

A Seasonal Food Permit may be right for you if you are a food or beverage vendor planning to participate in farmers markets or in three or more public events in Minneapolis from April 1 through March 31 annually.  

Apply now or apply at least two weeks before your event or farmers market. 

The Seasonal Food Permit application has been updated to make the application easier to understand and to complete. 

The new Minnesota food Code requires seasonal food permit vendors who work more than 10 days a year have a Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM). The CFPM must be registered with the Minnesota Department of Health. 

Food trucks licensed by the City of Minneapolis do NOT require a Seasonal Food Permit. 

Questions? Contact 311 by calling 612-673-3000 or email [email protected] Ask for a health inspector on the food permit team.

What is a public event?

Most events are public events, including ticketed events. If general members of the public can purchase tickets or attend for free, the event is public. Private events are those that only a pre-defined group of people are invited to or can attend. Examples include family reunions, club or team celebrations and employee appreciation dinners.

If you are organizing a public event where food or beverages will be sold or given away in the City of Minneapolis, you will need an Event Food Sponsor Permit. This includes sampling (marketing) of food and/or beverage products. Selling or giving away food or beverages without a permit will result in closure and a fine. Private events do not require food permits.

If you need help determining if your event is public or private contact Minneapolis 311 (612-673-3000) and ask for a Health Inspector with the events permit team.

Green To Go at events

New in 2020

Event food sponsors are responsible for the collection and handling of to-go food and drink containers at their event. 

Event food sponsors must: 

Questions? Contact 311 at 612-673-3000 or [email protected] Ask for an Environmental Health supervisor. 

Sponsoring a Public Event

Event Food Sponsors
During summer months large volumes of events require approval. Event Food Sponsors are encouraged to turn in all applications and fees as early as possible to ensure plenty of time for review and approval.

Event Food Sponsors must complete all sections of the Event Food Sponsor Permit application and list all vendors taking part. As the Event Food Sponsor, you may also provide food or beverage. Simply fill out your own Short Term Food Permit application and list your organization or business name used on that permit in the FREE vendor line of the Event Food Sponsor Permit application.

The Event Food Sponsor must submit the following applications and fees to Minneapolis Environmental Health at least two weeks before the event:

Event Food Sponsors are responsible for giving information about Minneapolis Green To Go rules to event food vendors. Visit Green to Go for information and flyers.

Licensed Minneapolis restaurants and bars with a Temporary Expansion of Liquor License for an event may require an Event Food Sponsor Permit and vendor permits. For these events, fees will be waived for the Event Food Sponsor Permit and Short Term Food Permit if the restaurant or bar is the only food or beverage vendor.

Are there any events that are exempt and do not need food permits?

Yes, Minnesota exempts several food events or food vendors from licensing or permitting requirements. The exemptions are very specific. It is the responsibility of the individual(s) using any of the following exemptions to make sure they meet the qualifications listed in the State exemption and follow through on all requirements.

Possible permitting exemptions include:

View the full list of exemptions provided by the Minnesota Revisor of Statues Office.

Selling or giving away food at a public event

Food and Beverage vendors

A Short Term Food Permit is required to sell or give away food or beverage to the public, even if you have a licensed restaurant or other licensed food business.

Complete all sections of the Short Term Food Permit application. Give your application to the event food sponsor at least two weeks before the event.

Exceptions for Food Vendors
Food vendors with one of following licenses or permits do not require a Short Term Food Permit. Simply give your permit or registration number, or license information, to your event food sponsor at least two weeks before the event:


Applications must be received at least two weeks before your event begins.
Your application is late if it is received less than two weeks before your event begins.

Event Food Sponsor Permit

Short Term Food Permit

Seasonal Food Permit

Payment Options

Applications and payments must be received at least two weeks prior to the event start date or late fees apply. Applications received less than two business days before the event may not be approved or could be restricted.

Pay by email
Fees can be paid by credit card. City staff will call you to get your payment information.
Email your application to [email protected]
Do not include your credit card number on your application. 

Pay in person
Fees can be paid by check, cash, or credit card
Minneapolis Development Review
505 South 4th Avenue, Room 220
MN 55415

Pay by mail
Fees can be paid by check. Make checks payable to: Minneapolis Finance.
Minneapolis Environmental Health
505 South 4th Avenue, Room 520
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Food vendor materials 

Visit the City's website for more food safety resources.

Green To Go

The Minneapolis Green To Go ordinance requires food prepared for immediate consumption and to-go must be put in reusable, recyclable or compostable food containers. Preferred recyclable plastics are plastics number 1, 2 and 5. Polystyrene products may not be used. Polystyrene products are foam (Styrofoam) and #6 plastics.

Visit the City's Green to Go web page for more information.

Although caterers are exempt from this ordinance, caterers are encouraged to use preferred plastics number 1, 2, and 5, or compostable products for serving and to-go containers.

Vendor lists

The Mobile Food (food trucks) Vendor list and the Seasonal Food Vendor list are intended to help event food sponsors and market managers looking for vendors for an event or market. 

If you have a questions about either list, contact the Health Department at 612-673-2301 or [email protected]. Ask to speak with a health inspector on the food permit team.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Visit the event sponsors and vendors FAQ page for more information.


Health inspectors
To contact a health inspector, call 311 (outside Minneapolis call 612-673-3000) or email [email protected]. Ask for a health inspector on the events team. 


Minneapolis Health Department LogoShould you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Feb 9, 2021



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Health Department  ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo