Health Department

Food, Lodging & Pools
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Body Art Businesses

Body art businesses provide body art procedures such as tattooing, cosmetic tattooing, microblading and piercing. Piercings of the outer perimeter of the ear or ear lobe are not governed by the Minneapolis Body Art Code. 

COVID-19 pandemic

For information about body art business closures, and other business closures, visit the Food, Lodging and Pools web page.

Business licenses


Body Art businesses are required to be licensed in the City of Minneapolis.

Body Art businesses must get a Body art business license application through Minneapolis Business Licensing.

Individual technicians are licensed through the State of Minnesota.

The City of Minneapolis does not license individual technicians. Each individual practicing in the City of Minneapolis is required to show proof of state licensure. All Minneapolis regulations must be followed. 

Body Art businesses are inspected yearly under the Minneapolis City Ordinance, Chapter 339: Body Art Code. The business licensee is responsible for making sure their business compliance with State and City regulations.

Any concerns about a body art business can be reported online to the Minneapolis Health Department.

Plan Review

Plans are required for any new or remodeled body art business. 

Submit to Business Licensing: 

Before opening, a Minneapolis health inspector must conduct a pre-opening inspection. 

Questions? Call 311 (612-673-3000) and ask to speak with an Environmental Health Supervisor. 

Body Art Events

There are two types of temporary Body Art events:

All participating body artists must be licensed or permitted by the State of Minnesota prior to the event. Body artists must show proof of license or permit to the Minneapolis Health Department, Food, Lodging & Pools staff.

Tattooing - Body Art Temporary Event license application

Submit the application with all required documents (listed on the application) and fee.

Questions? Call 311 (612-673-3000). Ask to speak with an Environmental Health Supervisor.

Every event must have an event sponsor who is responsible for:


Minneapolis Health Department LogoShould you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Jan 13, 2021



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Health Department  ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo