Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP)
The Minnesota Food Code requires a Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) plan for certain specialized processes.
HACCP plans must be submitted and approved prior to use.
- Serving raw or undercooked beef, eggs, fish or poultry.
- Smoking food as part of the cooking process.
- Curing food.
- Adding components to preserve a food or render it not potentially hazardous.
- Using reduced oxygen packaging.
- Operating molluscan shellfish life support system display tanks used to store and display shellfish that are offered for human consumption.
- Removing tags or labels from shellstock when using more than one tagged label or container at a time.
Some of these processes have alternatives to a HACCP plan or have additional requirements such as a variance.
Please contact your health inspector or a member of the HACCP Team to help guide you through these requirements.
Mohamed Yusuf, 612-673-2612
Justo Garcia, 612-673-3619
Jim Donovan, 612-673-2795
Kevin Keopraseuth, 612-673-2633
If you are ready to start working on your HACCP plan, here are resources for you.
Note: The templates below must be changed. Change the template to include the procedures you are using in your HACCP process.
After your plan has been reviewed, you will be inspected to make sure you are following the procedures in your plan.
- HACCP contents checklist – List of items required when submitting a plan.
- Hazard analysis worksheet – Worksheet provided to do hazard analysis. If you are using a template below, this worksheet is included in the template.
- HACCP plan form – Worksheet provided for CCPs. If using a template below, this form is included in the template.
- FDA HACCP website – Link to HACCP Principles and Application Guidelines.
- Managing Food Safety: A Manual for the Voluntary Use of HACCP Principles for Operators of Food Service and Retail Establishments - Link to resource.
Reduced Oxygen Packaging
- HACCP plan template - ROP raw meats - A plan template for raw meats stored in vacuum packages.
- HACCP plan template - Sous vide - A plan template for food cooked in vacuum packages.
- HACCP plan template - Cook chill - A plan template for cooked foods chilled in vacuum packages.
There are varying ppm requirements for different curing agents based on the method of curing. Contact the HACCP Team above if you have questions about which template best fits your product.
- HACCP plan template - Cured jerky, packaged sale - A plan template for cured jerky that is sold in a package that is not a reduced oxygen package.
- HACCP plan template - Cured sausage, packaged sale - A plan template for cured sausage that is served.
- HACCP plan template - Cured sausage, ROP packaged sale - A plan template for cured sausage that is packaged in a reduced oxygen package.
- HACCP Plan Canning example - A template for canning produce and storing out at room temperature.
- Canning at Retail fact sheet
- HACCP food flow - Canning
- HACCP plan template - Fermenting/acidification - A template for fermentation/acidification.
Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.
Last updated Mar 12, 2020