Minneapolis Health Department

Public Service Center
250 S. 4th. Street, Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415
[email protected]
612- 673-2301

Submit permits in-person
at the customer service
counter on 3rd floor of
Public Service Center.

Directions & Parking for
Public Service Center

City of Minneapolis Health Department - Youtube Page City of Minneapolis Health Department - Twitter Page City of Minneapolis Health Department - Facebook page

Construction or Remodeling

EPA's Renovation, Remodeling and Painting Regulation

What's required?
Federal law requires that contractors give individuals the Renovate Right pamphlet before beginning renovation or remodeling work in homes, schools and childcare facilities built before 1978. This requirement applies when six square feet or more of painted surfaces in a room for interior projects or more than twenty square feet of painted surfaces for exterior projects in housing, child care facilities and schools built before 1978 is disturbed.

Contractor Certification
Beginning April 2010, the federal law will require contractors that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities and schools, built before 1978, to be certified and follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination. Therefore, if you plan to hire a contractor to do work in your home, ask them for their certification and what practices they will follow to prevent lead dust in your home.

For more information the RRP Regulation
Visit the US Environmental Protection Agency's website

Are you a contractor that needs to be certified in RRP?
Find a certified trainer on the EPA's website or on the City of Minneapolis website here

For additional information:

Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP)

Renovate Right: Important Lead Hazard Information for Families, Child Care Providers and Schools

Remodelar Correctamente: Información importante sobre los riesgos causados por el plomo para familias, proveedores de cuidado infantil y escuelas

Pre-Renovation Disclosure Form


 Minneapolis Health Department Logo

Should you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Dec 19, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo