Minneapolis Health Department

Public Service Center
250 S. 4th. Street, Room 510
Minneapolis, MN 55415
[email protected]
612- 673-2301

Submit permits in-person
at the customer service
counter on 3rd floor of
Public Service Center.

Directions & Parking for
Public Service Center

City of Minneapolis Health Department - Youtube Page City of Minneapolis Health Department - Twitter Page City of Minneapolis Health Department - Facebook page

Environmental Permit Applications

Minneapolis Environmental Services accepts and enforces several permits within the City - they are listed below.  These applications can be submitted and paid for in a variety of ways.

A list of permit fees can be found here: 2020 Environmental Permit Fees 

Payment options

In Person

Pay by: Check or credit card

Location:  Minneapolis Environmental Services - 3rd Floor, Public Service Center, 250 S. 4th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55415 


Pay by: Check or credit card - our permit administration staff will contact you for information.
For your protection: please do not email credit card information.

Email request: [email protected]


Abrasive Blasting Permit

When required: Required for anyone using abrasive materials (i.e. silica, water) to prepare any surface.

Link to application:  Abrasive Blasting Permit Application
Additional requirements:  Environmental Services must be notified 48 hours before an abrasive blast is scheduled to begin.
Link to municode:  59.50 - Abrasive Blast Permit Required.

After Hours Work Permit

When required:  Weekdays- Work beginning before 7:00 a.m. and work after 6:00 p.m., Weekends- Any time 
Link to application:  After Hours Work Permit Application

Additional requirement: A notification letter must be sent to neighbors around the work site.  
Link to municode:  59.30 - After Hours Work Permit Required 

Erosion Control Permit

When required: Required for any land disturbance activity in excess of 500 square feet. An Erosion Control Plan (per MCO 52.100) is required when land disturbance activities exceed 5000 square feet.
Link to application:  Soil Erosion Permit Application
Link to municode:  52.100. - Erosion and Sediment Control Plan

Hazardous Waste Facility Permit

When required: Required when a new business will be generating hazardous waste.
Link to application:  Hazardous Waste Facility Application
Link to municode:  46.40. - Permit Required

Oil Water Separator and Sediment Trap Permit

When required: Required when installing, removing, or abandoning an oil-water separator or sediment trap.
Link to application:  Oil/Water Separator and Sediment Trap Application
Link to municode:  48.270. - Oil/Water Separators and Sediment Trap Permit and Registration Fees

Remediation, Clean-up, and Contaminated Soil Storage Permit

When required:   Required during soil or groundwater pollution clean-ups.
Link to application:  Contaminated Soil Storage Application, On-site Remediation Permit
Link to municode:  48.300. - Contaminated Material Storage

Rock Crushing Permit

When required:   Required when crushing rocks on site or at an area parcel.
Link to application:  Temporary Rock Crushing Permit Application
Link to municode:  59.40. - Temporary Crushing Permit Required

Outdoor Amplified Sound Permit

When required: Required for anyone operating outdoor amplified sound (i.e. speaker system)
Link to application: Outdoor Amplified Sound Permit
Additional requirements:
Link to municode:  389.105. - Permits for Sound Amplifying Equipment

Storage Tank Permits

When required: Required for any underground tanks and all above ground tanks greater than 200 gallons.
Link to application:  Tank Abandonment Application, Tank Installation Permit Application, Tank Removal
Link to municode: 48.120. - Aboveground Storage Tanks for Regulated Substances, 48.130. - Underground Storage Tanks for Regulated Substances

Temporary Water Discharge Permit

When required: Required for any discharge to the storm drain or sanitary sewer than is not a permanent connection.
Link to application:  Temporary Water Discharge Application
Link to municode: 50.65. - Discharge Permits to the Sanitary Sewer and Storm Drains

Well Constructing/Sealing Permit

When required: Required for any boring 15 feet or deeper.
Link to application:  Well Construction Application , Well Sealing Notification, Temporary Well Boring Notification
Link to municode:  216.80. - Permit Requirement and Fee Schedule


Minneapolis Health Department LogoShould you require a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate, or information in an alternative format, please contact 612-673-2301.
Para asistencia 612-673-2700 - Rau kev pab 612-673-2800 - Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500.

Last updated Nov 4, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo