Green Crescent [email protected] Project
Partners: Public Works, (MNDOT)
Status: Early planning stage
The Green Crescent Project, part of the [email protected] project, is a one- block stretch of greenspace that will be between Stevens Avenue and I-35W and Lake Street and the Midtown Greenway. It will serve as a high quality pedestrian and bicycle link for community members, commuters, visitors and anyone making a connection between the Midtown Greenway, Lake Street and a new transit facility and plaza.
Possible art opportunities include gateways or wayfinding works integrated into the space, pavement treatments on the pedestrian trail, artistic treatment of seat walls and a light installation.
Goals of the public art project include:
- Be a welcoming safe space for all residents in the adjacent neighborhoods as well as for daily commuters and one-time visitors.
- Be a bold, iconic gateway and/or wayfinding tool that orients people between Lake Street, the Green Crescent and the Midtown Greenway.
- Be an inspirational, anchoring element that commemorates and celebrates the rich culturally diverse communities in the area and their community histories, and is inspired by input from community members and local artists.
- Be a grand and timeless gesture that is thoughtfully integrated into the design of the I-35W/Lake St. Transit Station, the Green Crescent and the Midtown Greenway.
- Be durable and maintainable in Minneapolis’ climate and urban environment.
For more information contact Ann Godfrey.
Last updated Dec 12, 2019