Records Management
350 South 5th Street, Room 300M
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Responsible Authority
Casey Carl, City Clerk

Data Practices Compliance Official
Kristen Olson

350 South 5th Street, Room 304
Minneapolis, MN 55415

Email Responsible Authority

Request help or appeal a decision related to your request

If you are not satisfied with the decisions made by the City, or have an issue with the data maintained by the City, there are several options available to attempt to resolve issues.

Request help from the Data Practices Compliance Official

The Data Practices Compliance Official is a statutory position appointed by City Council. The Official is the designated employee to whom persons may direct questions or concerns regarding problems in obtaining access to data or other data practices problems. The City's Data Practices Compliance Official is City Clerk, Casey Carl.

  • You may request assistance via email by sending a message to [email protected]
  • If you wish to discuss the matter via phone or in-person, make an appointment by calling 612-673-2216

Challenging the accuracy or completeness of data

Individuals have the right to challenge the accuracy or completeness of data of which they are the subject. An individual must notify the Responsible Authority in writing, describing the nature of the disagreement.  The Responsible Authority then has 30 days to do one of the following:

  • Correct data found to be inaccurate or incomplete and attempt to notify past recipients of inaccurate or incomplete data, including recipients named by the individual.
  • Notify the individual that the Authority believes the data to be correct.

Request an opinion from the Commissioner of Administration

The Commissioner of Administration has the authority to issue advisory opinions on the MGDPA and the Minnesota Open Meeting Law (OML).  These opinions may be requested:

  • By a city, when the Responsible Authority is unsure how to classify data or respond to a data request.
  • By a person, when that individual disagrees with a data practices determination.

Administrative remedies

Persons with data practices disputes may file a complaint with the State Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH).  A complaint must be filed with the OAH within two years of the alleged violation and must:

  • Be in writing
  • Be submitted under oath
  • Detail the factual basis for the alleged violations
  • Be accompanied by a filing fee of $1,000 or bond to guarantee payment

Compel compliance

Any aggrieved person seeking to enforce their rights or obtain access to data may bring an action in district court to compel compliance with the MGDPA and may recover costs and disbursements, including reasonable attorney’s fees, as determined by the court.

Expand All

Last updated Nov 16, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

City Clerk's Office  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo