Mississippi River Corridor Critical Area Overlay District Amendment
Goals of the Amendment
The Mississippi River Corridor Critical Area (MRCCA) is a state, regional and local government program that provides coordinated land planning and regulation for the 72-mile stretch of the Mississippi River through the seven-county metropolitan area covering 54,000 acres of land in 30 local jurisdictions. The Department of Natural Resources (DNR) developed, and the State Legislature adopted, Minnesota Rules, Chapter 6106, which became effective on January 4, 2017, and replace Executive Order 79-19, which previously governed land use in the MRCCA. These rules provide the land planning and regulatory framework that protects the MRCCA’s resources. The city is required to adopt a zoning overlay district for the MRCCA to implement the rules. This text amendment to the zoning code and maps fulfills this obligation. September 3, 2020 is the start of the comment period with a tentative City Planning Commission public hearing on October 19, 2020. Written comments to be included in the staff report should be submitted before October 9, 2020.
Applicable Sections of the Zoning Code
The following chapters of the zoning code are expected to be impacted by the proposed ordinance and are under consideration as part of the amendment:
- Chapter 520, Introductory Provisions
- Chapter 521, Zoning Districts and Maps Generally
- Chapter 525, Administration and Enforcement
- Chapter 535, Regulations of General Applicability
- Chapter 551, Overlay Districts
- Chapter 598, Land Subdivision Regulations
City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole August 6, 2020
City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole August 20, 2020
City Planning Commission October 19, 2020. This meeting includes the opportunity to provide testimony at a public hearing.
City Council Business, Inspections, Housing, and Zoning Committee November 17, 2020
Minneapolis City Council December 4, 2020
- Legislation Details: Regulations of ordinance (tbd)
- City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole Memo August 6, 2020
- City Planning Commission Committee of the Whole Memo August 20, 2020
- City of Minneapolis MRCCA plan (Appendix A of Minneapolis 2040)
- Minnesota Department of Natural Resources MRCCA model ordinance
CPED Code Development Staff
For all media inquiries, please contact the City of Minneapolis Communications Department.
Last updated Sep 15, 2020