Built Form Regulations
Minneapolis 2040, the City’s new comprehensive plan, includes policies and regulations related to the scale of new development throughout Minneapolis. The plan’s 14 Built Form Districts guided the development of new regulations, governing issues such as:
- building height
- floor area ratio (FAR)
- lot size and setbacks from property lines
- limits on how much of a property may be covered by buildings and impervious surfaces
Goals of the Amendment
New built form regulations will ensure that key elements of Minneapolis 2040 will be implemented. These regulations are intended to provide a greater degree of predictability related to the scale of new buildings allowed in different parts of the city, including:
- neighborhood interiors
- production/employment areas
- areas served by high-frequency transit
Built form policies and regulations are a critical part of the City’s plan to accommodate additional residents and jobs while combating climate change.
Through a future rezoning study, the City will implement land use regulations to complement built form regulations. While built form regulations govern the scale of new buildings, land use regulations will govern allowed uses, such as:
- mixed use
- parks and open spaces
Adopted Built Form Regulations
The adopted built form regulations went into effect on January 1, 2021. They include both code text and map updates, with new Built Form Overlay Districts covering all properties in the city. Please note that not every property in the city will be redeveloped between now and 2040. These regulations will provide guidance if a change is proposed by a property owner.
More information about the built form regulations, including quick reference guides for each district and premiums, can be found on the Minneapolis 2040 website.
Planning Commission Committee of the Whole
- July 23, 2020 – Built Form Regulations: Floor Area Ratio (FAR) and Height
- August 6, 2020 – Setbacks, Lot Sizes, Lot Coverage, Impervious Surface, Site Plan Review, and Mississippi River Critical Area Regulations
- August 20, 2020 – Built Form Regulations: Increases and Bonuses to FAR and Height, Required Amenities
- September 10, 2020 – Built Form Regulations: Draft Recommendations
- Three public online virtual meetings were held during a public review period in September and October of 2020.
- 5 p.m. - 6 p.m., September 23
- 5 p.m. - 6 p.m., September 29
- 3 p.m. - 4 p.m., October. 21 (focused on downtown)
- November 9, 2020 - The public comment period closed and a public hearing was held before the City Planning Commission. The commission voted to forward the zoning changes with amendments to the City Council.
- December 8, 2020 - The City Council Business, Inspections, Housing and Zoning Committee made a recommendation to the full City Council to approve the built form regulations.
- December 18, 2020 - The City Council voted to approve the built form regulations.
Public Training Built Form Information Session
The amendment went into effect on January 1, 2021.
- July 23, 2020 CPC COW Memo
- August 6, 2020 CPC COW Memo
- August 20, 2020 CPC COW Memo
- September 10, 2020 CPC COW Memo
- November 9, 2020 Planning Commission Staff Report and Draft Ordinance
- Legislative Details: Regulations implementing the built form policies of Minneapolis 2040, including establishing new zoning districts and amending the citywide zoning map accordingly (2020-00984)
CPED Code Development Staff
For all media inquiries, please contact the City of Minneapolis Communications Department.
Last updated Feb 19, 2021