Home Ownership Works (HOW) Program
Home Ownership Works (HOW) is designed to address the goal of providing home ownership opportunities for households who otherwise would have difficulty in attaining home ownership. It is also designed to address the problem of abandoned and foreclosed houses through either rehabilitation or demolition and new construction.
The program serves the following objectives:
- Provides decent, long term affordable home ownership opportunities for households who would normally experience challenges in achieving home ownership
- Addresses the problem of vacant and deteriorated structures
- Helps the City maintain a base of owner occupants
- Helps combat the impacts of the foreclosure crisis
- HOW funds are available for renovation or new construction and sale of single-family dwellings, under the Home Ownership Works (HOW) program. Funds may be used for acquisition, demolition, rehabilitation, new construction, and/or homebuyer assistance.
- All homes must be sold to a homebuyer that is at or below 80% of area median income, defined by the Department of Housing and Urban Development. single family homeownership.
- HOW funds are provided as needed to fill a project gap (difference between the total development cost of a project and its sale price) and homebuyer assistance (difference between the sale price and what a homebuyer can afford).
- HOW program manual (PDF)
- HOW target area (PDF)
- HOW Homebuyer Assistance (PDF)
- HOME income limits
- HUD income limits
- 95% Median Value
The program may be accessed by approved developers that meet the minimum eligibility criteria as outlined in the HOW program manual.
Current Developers are listed below:
- American Indian Community Development Corporation (AICDC)
- BuildWealth Minnesota
- City of Lakes Community Land Trust (CLCLT)
- Greater Metropolitan Housing Corporation (GMHC)
- Northside Home
- PRG, Inc
- Project for Pride in Living (PPL)
- Twin Cities Habitat for Humanity
- Urban Homeworks
- Housing Development Checklist (doc)
- HOW application (XLS)
- Proforma (please use this document instead of the budget in the HOW application) (xls)
- Environmental Review form (doc)
- CHDO Certification Form (doc)
Applicants are encouraged to research properties thoroughly. Below are links to resources that could be of assistance:
- Property Info: for information about the building, zoning, sales, inspections, tax, assessment, and license history connected to a property.
- Minneapolis Zoning Code: for information about the allowable uses within different zoning designations click on “Primary Zoning Districts”.
- Major public works improvement projects: lots located along streets with major improvements planned may have future assessments. Contact the Public Works department for more information.
- Topographic maps: the City of Minneapolis encourages development of accessible or visitable housing on sites with suitable topography.
- Drafters available for scope writing: a list of drafting and specification writing businesses familiar with the City of Minneapolis’ plan review process.
For more information contact Aarica Coleman, (612) 673-5078
Proposed HOW Program Changes
The City of Minneapolis is requesting feedback on the proposed Home Ownership Works (HOW) Program manual. The program aims to provide and sustain affordable, owner-occupied, 1-4-unit housing for low and moderate-income purchasers throughout Minneapolis and reduce racial disparities in homeownership.
- Home Ownership Works (HOW) Program Summary (PDF)
- Home Ownership Works (HOW) Program presentation (PDF)
Submit your comments to [email protected] with the subject line “HOW Program” by Wednesday, June 12th.
May 23, 2019 – Information session was held. Public feedback collected (PDF)
June 12, 2019 – Deadline for public comment, estimated date of Housing and Policy Development Committee hearing
June 21, 2019 – Vote by full city council
June 2020 – Estimated approval by HUD
July 2020 – Estimated implementation of program changes
Contact Aarica Coleman if you have additional questions.
Last updated Oct 2, 2019