The Council operates with a standing committee system. Each committee exercises primary oversight of a specific area of municipal policy as well as those departments and divisions within its purview. Standing committees meet during the two-week period preceding each regular meeting of the full City Council. This period is called a Council cycle. Committees are responsible for evaluating and making recommendations on all matters referred to them.
During the declared local public health emergency, the City Council has restructured its organization. The goals of this temporary restructuring include:
- Streamlining and flattening the Council’s structure to be more flexible and responsive to enterprise needs during the declared public health emergency
- Affording departments more time to plan and prepare agenda items by minimizing the delay between agenda item submission, internal review, and action
- Expediting internal processing and legal publication so that official actions become legally effective in a shorter period of time
Temporary Committee Structure
- Budget Committee
- Business, Inspections, Housing & Zoning Committee
- Policy & Government Oversight Committee (includes Race Equity and Finance Subcommittees)
- Public Health & Safety Committee
- Transportation & Public Works Committee
All other standing committees have been suspended. See upcoming City Council calendar.
Prior Standing Committees
These were standing committees prior to the restructuring.
- Committee of the Whole (includes Race Equity Subcommittee)
- Economic Development & Regulatory Services
- Elections & Rules
- Housing Policy & Development
- Intergovernmental Relations
- Public Health, Environment, Civil Rights, and Engagement
- Public Safety & Emergency Management
- Ways & Means
- Zoning & Planning
Last updated Sep 16, 2020