Introducing LIMS, a new tool to track local legislation.  Click to enter LIMS.

Land Use, Development & Zoning

The City Council guides development, land use, and zoning to ensure sustainable growth through a range of mechanisms and tools. The Council’s authority includes the power to:

The primary tools governing land use and development in the city are the comprehensive plan and the zoning code.

The Minneapolis Plan for Sustainable Growth is the City’s current comprehensive plan, adopted in 2009. This plan is the primary policy document that describes the City’s vision for growth and development, and serves as a tool to address land use and development issues in a sustainable manner. The Minneapolis Zoning Code provides a regulatory framework for the implementation of the City’s comprehensive plan in a manner that protects the health, safety, and welfare of residents.

The Community Planning & Economic Development Department (CPED) is the primary City department charged with growing a sustainable city under the Council’s direction. Its Long Range Planning Division drafts and maintains the City's comprehensive plan, small area plans, and strategic planning initiatives; conducts research; oversees the Public Art Program; guides public realm principles; guides development; and partners in implementation. The Development Services Division provides planning and zoning tools and assistance; manages zoning administration; and reviews proposed development activity in the City. CPED’s Development Services Division also supports citizen advisory bodies to the City Council on land use matters, including:

Recommendations of these bodies are submitted to the City Council for applications for re-zonings, street or alley vacations, Zoning Code text amendments, comprehensive plan amendments, historic designations, historic variances, and waivers from moratoria. Advisory body decisions are final on all other items unless appealed. The Council’s Standing Committee on Zoning & Planning hears all land use related matters before the City Council, and provides recommendations to the City Council for its final action.

Last updated Jul 2, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

City Clerk's Office  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo