Hennepin County has emergency rental assistance available for low-income residents who can’t afford rent due to COVID-19. Learn more and apply.


Renters | Evictions | Homeowners | Those experiencing homelessness | Rental property owners

Minnesota Housing is accepting applications for the COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program, which covers expenses such as rent, mortgage, utilities, or other housing-related expenses that were incurred after March 1, 2020 and are past due. To start the process to apply for housing assistance, call 211 (Toll Free: 1.800.543.7709; Local: 651.291.0211), visit 211unitedway.org, or text “MNRENT” or “MNHOME” to 898-211. The 211 helpline has dedicated multilingual staff available to answer questions about the COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program, 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Once connected to 211, they will connect you with a local administrator to review applications, verify eligibility, and process payments for eligible expenses on behalf of households.

The City of Minneapolis has designated more than $5 million in gap funding to help Minneapolis residents and businesses, including $3 million specifically for housing assistance. Learn more about gap funding for housing.

Governor Walz announced Executive Order 20-14: Suspending Evictions and Writs of Recovery During the COVID-19 Peacetime Emergency on March 23, 2020 to prevent evictions during the coronavirus outbreak. The suspension went into effect at 5 p.m. on March 24, 2020. It will remain in effect until the end of the peacetime state of emergency.

Resources for Renters

Español: Recursos de ayuda para la vivienda | Oromo: Deggersa Kaffaltii mana jireenyaa | Soomaali: Liiska gargaarka (guriyaynta) | Hmoob: Kev Pabcuam Vaj Tse Nyob

Housing assistance resources and legal help

Many program rules have changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you were not eligible in the past for housing assistance, please contact the organizations below to determine if you are now eligible for one of these services.

I need help paying rent

Hennepin County Emergency Rental Assistance – Funding for rent and utilities for low-income households who have lost income due to COVID-19.

Minnesota Housing COVID-19 Housing Assistance Program – Funding for rent, utilities, mortgage, or housing-related expenses incurred after March 1, 2020.

HSP rental/utility assistance providers

1729 Lyndale Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55411
[email protected]

Lutheran Social Services
2400 Park Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55404
[email protected]

Powderhorn Park Neighborhood Association
821 E 35th St
Minneapolis, MN 55407
[email protected]

Urban HomeWorks
2015 Emerson Ave N
Minneapolis, MN 55411
[email protected]

We Win Institute, Inc.
1330 Lagoon Avenue Suite 400
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55408
Attention: Titilayo Bediako
[email protected]

I need help working out a plan or other agreement with my landlord

Community Mediation & Restorative Services, Inc (CMRS) helps you start a conversation and work out a plan with your landlord. We can help you think through your options and finding the right resources. Email [email protected]CMRSmn.org or call 763-561-0173. Leave your name, phone number or email, and a brief description of your situation. A CMRS mediator will be in touch with you.

Conflict Resolution Center provides free mediation services to help renters and landlords talk with each other to resolve housing conflicts. Call 612-822-9883 or submit a mediation request online.

I need help understanding my rights as a tenant

Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid provides legal advice to low-income Minneapolis renters. Information and resources for all Minneapolis renters is available here:

HOME Line provides free and confidential legal advice to all Minneapolis renters. Individual tenant questions can be directed to HOME Line:

LawHelpMN.org contains legal information in English, Spanish, Hmong and Somali.

I am a Minneapolis Public Housing Authority (MPHA) resident, have a housing choice voucher, or other help paying my rent based on my income

If you receive help paying for your rent based on your income, it is important to report changes in your income right away. MPHA advises households to immediately report any loss of income to their eligibility technician, so that rent can be lowered accordingly and promptly.

More information is available on the MPHA website.

I want to apply for unemployment benefits

If your job has been affected by COVID-19, apply for unemployment benefits right away. Due to current call-wait times, applying online is the quickest option. Learn more about applying for unemployment.

I need help accessing my Federal Economic Impact Payment and filing taxes

Prepare + Prosper works with people with low- to moderate-incomes to build financial well-being through free tax preparation and financial services, coaching, and products. Other services include:

For tax help or general questions contact 651-287-0187 or [email protected].
To enroll in an account, make an appointment online.

I am looking for something not listed here

United Way 211 offers additional information on housing, food, utilities anywhere in Minnesota. Call 2-1-1, text your ZIP code to 898-211, or visit the https://www.211unitedway.org/ to search or chat online with a Community Resource Specialist. 211 is staffed 24/7 by trained Community Resource Specialists who listen to your needs and provide referrals to organizations and programs that offer the services you seek.

I am not sure what help I need

If you are a resident of Hennepin County and aren’t sure what might be the most helpful, please contact the Tenant Resource Center (TRC) at 612-302-3180.

Frequently asked questions about suspension of evictions

More information is available on Minnesota Housing’s COVID-19 webpage, including a summary of Executive Order 20-14 and the full Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document.

What does the order do?

When did the order go into effect?

Does the tenant still owe rent during the moratorium?

Does the homeowner still have to make their mortgage payment?

Does the household need to demonstrate a loss of income or COVID-19 diagnosis?

Are all types of evictions or lease terminations exempt from filing under this suspension?

What happens if a landlord/lender violates the order?

Download full FAQ from Minnesota Housing about Executive Order 20-14

Resources for homeowners

For homeowners who are experiencing hardship due to loss of income from COVID-19:

Additional resources for homeowners:

Resources for people experiencing homelessness

The City of Minneapolis is working with the County and community partners to respond to people experiencing homelessness during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Learn more about the City's homeless response

Hygiene stations

The City has placed hygiene stations to provide access to bathrooms and handwashing for people experiencing homelessness. The hygiene stations include portable toilets, handwashing stations, sharps containers, and trash receptacles. View the locations.

The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board has opened the following restroom buildings from 8 a.m.-8 p.m. daily:

Healthcare for the Homeless

Call 612-348-5553 to:

How to access emergency shelter

Single adults



Rental Property Owners

In March 2020, the Federal government passed the CARES Act, which has provisions that relate directly to rental housing. This federal order is in effect until at least July 25, 2020. The provisions related to rental housing are: 

Search for your property to determine whether it is covered by the CARES Act provisions specifically related to forbearance and eviction moratoriums. Please note that the linked source is not exhaustive and mainly covers larger properties. We encourage you to review the additional resources in this email to determine who owns your mortgage if your property is not listed in this search tool.

If your property is covered by the CARES Act, the following resources are available (based on who financed your property): 

If your property is not covered specifically covered by the forbearance components in the CARES Act, you may also be able to enter into a forbearance plan with your lender. In these situations, owners should reach out to their servicer to ask about forbearance.

Learn how to determine who owns your mortgage.

Last updated Jan 6, 2021



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Minneapolis 311       ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo