1st St and 8th Ave N Resurfacing
Notice: The Public Works Department is cancelling the informational meeting in this neighborhood scheduled for Thursday, April 2, 2020 at the Colonial Warehouse Building due to the current coronavirus and recommendations to limit large group gatherings. If you would like to receive updates on Public Works projects, including those in your neighborhood, sign up for email updates. For more information about COVID-19 and how city services are being impacted, see our Coronavirus updates.
The City of Minneapolis, Public Works Department, plans to resurface and provide new striping to include bicycle lanes on 1st St N and 8th Ave N. Resurfacing and inclusion of the bicycle lanes will follow a phased approach:
- In 2020, 8th Ave N will be resurfaced and a temporary yellow dashed line will be applied
- In 2020, 1st St N will be resurfaced from 8th Ave N to the western edge of the bridge over the railroad tracks/Cedar Lake Trail
- A temporary yellow dashed line will be applied
- In 2021, 1st St N will be resurfaced from the eastern edge of the bridge over the railroad tracks/Cedar Lake Trail to Hennepin Ave
- In 2021, 1st St N and 8th Ave N will receive the permanent striping plan that will include the addition of bicycle lanes with the current street parking and travel lanes
The goals of this bikeway project include:
- Reduce vehicular travel speeds
- Reorganize roadway space
- Evaluate potential locations for midblock crosswalks
- Improve the safety and predictability of pedestrian movements
- Support existing and future bicycle demand
- Improve bicycle network connectivity
Winter 2019 - Late Winter 2020
- Public Works will collect corridor data and initiate a community engagement process.
Winter - Fall 2020
Public Works will hold a pre-public hearing meeting on April 2, 2020 at the Colonial Warehouse.This meeting has been canceled.
- Public Works will develop a layout concept for a bikeway on the corridor.
- Public Works to provide a design recommendation.
- Resurfacing on 8th Ave N and temporary striping
- Resurfacing on 1st St N from 8th Ave N to the western edge of the bridge over the railroad tracks/Cedar Lake Trail and temporary striping
Construction Season 2021
- Resurfacing on 1st St N from the eastern edge of the bridge over the railroad tracks/Cedar Lake Trail to Hennepin Ave
- A permanent striping plan will be applied to 1st St N and 8th Ave N
Average number of daily users
Minneapolis Public Works (2010, 2012, 2014). Four locations on 1st St N were averaged to determine motor vehicle daily users.
Minneapolis Public Works- Minneapolis Pedestrian and Bicyclist Daily Traffic Counts. Pedestrian and bicycle counts are generated from a count location on 2nd St N midblock between 2nd Ave N and 3rd Ave N in the year 2016.
Reported crashes by travel mode on 1st St N and 8th Ave N between Hennepin Ave and 2nd St N.
|Travel Mode||Reported Crashes||Crashes with Injuries|
Source: Minnesota Department of Transportation, 2016-2020
*Note: There were 12 additional crashes identified as "Other". Of those, one crash resulted in injuries.
Existing street design
1st St and 8th Ave
Proposed street design
See the proposed street cross sections below, as well as the full street design layout.
8th Ave N, 1st St N from 4th to 8th Ave N
1st St N, 1st Ave N to 8th Ave N
1st St N, Hennepin to 1st Ave N
Kristian Zimmerman, Associate Transportation Planner; 612-673-5011 or [email protected]
Last updated Sep 25, 2020