Community Planning &
Economic Development

Construction Code Services
Public Service Center
250 S. 4th St., Suite 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
311 or 612-673-3000

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Competency Cards

A Certificate of Competency card is issued by the City of Minneapolis as proof that the cardholder has the necessary qualifications, training, experience, and technical knowledge to install, alter, repair, and service equipment and systems in a given trade.

Who Needs a Competency Card

Persons must obtain a Certificate of Competency card before working in the City of Minneapolis in the following trades for Master and Journeymen:

Reciprocating A Saint Paul Competency Card

At this time, the only reciprocity agreement that the City of Minneapolis has is with the City of Saint Paul. To receive a Minneapolis Certificate you must have a current Certificate of Competency from the City of Saint Paul. Send a copy of both sides of your Saint Paul card. If both sides are not available print your name, address and phone number on the copy. Indicate what trade or trades you  want to reciprocate and send a check or money order in the amount of $30.00 payment per trade. Your check or money order should be made payable to the Minneapolis Finance Department and mailed along with the copy of your Saint Paul card to Construction Code Services, 250 South 4th Street, Room 300, Minneapolis, MN  55415. On the outside of the envelope put "Attn: Comp Cards". Your Minneapolis certificate will be mailed back to you within a week of receiving your request.

For information on how to reciprocate a City of Minneapolis certificate to a Saint Paul certificate you should contact the Saint Paul Department of Safety and Inspections at (651) 266-8989.

Applying for the Competency Card Exam

In order to receive a City of Minneapolis Competency Card:

After the application is received:

After the Exam has been Taken

Contact Competency Card Office

Minneapolis Certificate of Competency
Public Service Center
250 South 4th Street, Room 300
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: 311 or 612-673-3000
Fax: 612-673-5814

Last updated Aug 30, 2019



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo