Community Planning &
Economic Development

Construction Code Services
Public Service Center
505 Fourth Ave. S., 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415
311 or 612-673-3000

Visit Business Portal button

Didn't find what you are looking for?  Visit the Contact 311 web page for information about the City and City services.


Code Compliance for Condemned Properties

Special rules apply for rehabbing, selling, or buying buildings that have been condemned. The Code Compliance program ensures that all buildings that have been condemned are safe and meet code standards before they are sold or occupied. A code compliance inspection and a set of orders are needed in lieu of a Truth-in-Sale of Housing inspection when the property is condemned.

If you are looking for information in regards to complying with the Minneapolis Building Code, please contact the inspector listed on your permit or call 311 to be directed to the area building, plumbing, or mechanical inspector. The information below relates directly to condemned properties and how to bring them out of condemnation and not to code questions.

IMPORTANT Update to Deposit Fee and Timeline

Beginning October 1st, 2019, the code compliance deposit fee will change to $4,000. We will also be extending the standard timeline to complete all work on a code compliance property once the deposit is paid. Those completing work on a condemned property will be given 9 months to complete all repairs, with a potential extension of 3 months if the work is 50% complete at the 9 month due date.

The fee and timeline were increased as part of the Title 5 Minneapolis Building Code update.

Inspection is Required Before Selling the Property or Starting Work

Owners of condemned properties must apply for and obtain a code compliance inspection before offering a condemned property for sale or starting any work or obtaining permits to rehab the property.

To set up the initial inspection:

A $2,000 Deposit is Required Before Beginning Rehab

A $2,000 refundable deposit is required before any rehab work can start and before any permits will be issued. Permit fees are paid in addition to the deposit. Please see above update as the deposit amount will be changing on October 1st, 2019.

Permits are Required for All Work Done on the Property

Building, Plumbing, Mechanical and Electrical permits are required for all work done on the property. Licensed contractors are required to pull permits on all electrical, plumbing and mechanical work. A homeowner may pull the building permit so long as the property is in the owner’s name and not a business name or other entity (ex. John Smith LLC). A licensed contractor is required when the property is registered under a business name or other entity.

Electrical permits are obtained through the State of Minnesota. All electrical work performed under a state electrical permit will need a state inspection and approval. The electrical contractor is required to complete Electrical Certification form. Contact the electrical inspector directly or visit the Department of Labor and Industry website for information about how to schedule the inspection.

Final Inspection and Certificate of Code Compliance Required Prior to Occupancy

After the work is completed, the property must pass a final inspection and be issued a Certificate of Code Compliance indicating that the property is safe to be occupied. The final inspection is scheduled with City staff and will be attended by Building, Plumbing, Mechanical and Housing inspectors.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Have questions? Still unsure how the process works? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information. 

Contact Construction Code Services

Minneapolis Code Compliance for Condemned Properties
Public Service Building
505 Fourth Ave. S., 320
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Phone: 612-673-5805
Fax: 612-673-5814

Last updated Dec 22, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Regulatory Services  ©1997-2021 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo