City Attorney's Office

City Hall, Room 210
350 S. 5th St.
Minneapolis, MN 55415
(612) 673-3000

City of Minneapolis U Visa Information

The City of Minneapolis provides U and T-Visa Certifications (otherwise known as Supplement B) for victims who qualify. 

 General Information                                                                                                      Procedures

1. What are U and T Visas?

U and T-Visas are temporary visas issued by the United States Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS). They give victims of certain crimes (and sometimes their immediate relatives) temporary legal status and eligibility to legally remain and work in the United States, generally for a period of 4 years. After three years of holding a U or T-Visa, the visa holder can apply for lawful permanent residency status.

2. Does the City of Minneapolis issue U and T-Visas?

No. The City of Minneapolis can provide U or T-Visa Certifications, but only the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service can issue U or T-Visas. Although a U-Visa certification is a necessary component to a U-Visa application, it is still only a part of a larger application package that must demonstrate several other eligibility requirements. Consult a private attorney for advice on your eligibility for these programs and assistance in preparing an application.   

3. Who can certify in the City of Minneapolis?

In the City of Minneapolis, there are three certifying agencies:
1) The Minneapolis Police Department can provide U-Visa or T-Visa Certifications if the qualifying crime was reported to or investigated by the MPD (except for cases noted below that were referred to the City Attorney’s Office).
2) The City Attorney’s Office can provide U-Visa Certifications when the qualifying crime was a misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor domestic assault, stalking or witness tampering. 
3) The Department of Civil Rights can provide U-Visa Certifications if the qualifying crime being investigated is based on discrimination.

4. What are the requirements that must be met in order to qualify for a U-Visa Certification?

The following requirements must be met to qualify for a U-Visa certification:
1) You, or your qualifying family member, have been the victim of one or more
    qualifying crimes;
2) You have useful information concerning the crime which occurred;
3) You have been helpful, are being helpful, or are likely to be helpful in the investigation or prosecution of the qualifying criminal activity; and
4) The criminal activity occurred in the United States or a territory of the United States.

5. What is a qualifying crime?

A list of qualifying crimes can be found at:

City of Minneapolis U and T-Visa Procedures

The City of Minneapolis will review U-Visa and T-Visa certification requests as follows:
1.      Each certifying agency will designate one person who is primarily responsible for review of applications (who may or may not also be the agency’s certifying official). Each certifying agency will also designate a secondarily responsible person who is authorized to process certification requests in the absence or unavailability of the primarily responsible person.  
The primarily responsible person for each certifying agency is as follows:
Police Department: Lt. Giovanni Veliz
            View MPD-specific information 
            City Attorney’s Office: Jennifer Saunders
View City Attorney’s Office-specific information 
                        Civil Rights Department: Andrew Hawkins
                                 View Civil Rights Department-specific information 
2.      All persons requesting a certification will complete and submit USCIS Form I-918, Supplement B (U-Visas), or USCIS Form I-914, Supplement B (T-Visas) to the certifying agency. Please leave “Part 4. Helpfulness of the Victim” blank for the certifying agency to complete.
3.      The certifying agency will promptly route the certification request to the certifying agency’s responsible person for review. If the responsible person determines that the request was sent to the wrong agency, the responsible person will promptly return the request with instructions as to where it should be sent.
4.      The responsible person will gather any documentation within the control of the certifying agency that relates to whether the applicant is eligible for certification. To the extent reasonably possible, the responsible person will also gather documentation from other city departments. 
5.      If it is not feasible to obtain the documents necessary to evaluate the request, the responsible person shall consider whether the request should be referred to another City certifying agency. 
6.      Each request will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
7.      The certifying agency will strive to act on each certification request within thirty (30) business days. However, there may be circumstances such as off-site records that are not easily accessible which may extend this time. 
8.      Each certifying agency will adopt procedures for further expediting review of applications submitted by persons who are in removal proceedings or who have a derivative applicant in removal proceedings. The certifying agency will strive to act on these requests within seven (7) business days whenever possible. For more information on expedited requests, please carefully review the agency-specific information linked below. 
9.      An applicant may request that a certifying agency reconsider its decision by presenting additional or different information or evidence in support of the request. The additional or different information or evidence should be presented along with a cover letter concisely explaining why the responsible person should reconsider the denial of the applicant’s request. The certifying agency will strive to act on requests for reconsideration within fourteen (14) business days.

View a copy of the City’s Protocol Regarding Review of U-Visa and T-Visa Applications

Submitting Certification Requests

Please submit each certification request with a cover letter including the reasons for the request and contact information. For specific information about how to submit certification requests to each agency please see following:
                      Minneapolis Police Department                     
                      City Attorney’s Office 
                      Department of Civil Rights

Last updated Aug 17, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Attorney's Office  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo