Finding Lost Pets
Minneapolis Animal Care & Control (MACC) makes every effort to return lost pets to their owners. All stray animals are checked for pet licenses, identification tags, and microchips. If you are looking for your lost pet, please scroll above and click on Lost Dog, Lost Cat, or Small Animals to see if your lost pet is currently in our shelter. MACC does not take lost reports; owners can, however, bring in a poster to hang on our bulletin board.
My pet is at the shelter, what now?
It is important to contact the shelter as quickly as possible once you believe your pet is there. Recovering a pet is time sensitive due to state laws, stress on the animal, etc. and failure to do so could result in permanent re-homing of a pet.
To reclaim your pet you must provide the following:
Proof of ownership; We must verify the animal is your pet to return it to you. Examples of proof of ownership include:
- Veterinary records
- Purchase or adoption agreements
- Photos of the pet with you
Your ID, must be at least 18 years old
Payment of all fees/fines. Applicable fees include:
- Impound fee ($55+); waived if licensed and it's first time the pet has been impounded (if the animal is not currently licensed at the time of impoundment the impound fee will apply)
- Kennel/care/boarding fees ($25, plus tax, per day)
- License fee ($30+)
- Fines (if applicable)
Licensing your pet is the quickest and easiest way to recover your lost pet. When possible, licensed pets are delivered to your home at no cost. If you are not home or home delivery is not an option, owners of licensed pets do not pay an impound fee the first time they are brought to the shelter. However, kennel fees are not excluded.
Didn't find your lost pet here?
If you do not see your animal on our website, we recommend also checking the following places:
- Animal Humane Society.
- Lost Dogs Minnesota or Lost Cats Minnesota Facebook page.
- Craigslist. Check the "Lost and Found" or "Pets" sections.
Last updated May 13, 2020