Regulatory Services

Minneapolis Animal Care
& Control

212 17th Ave. N.
Minneapolis, MN 55411

911 for Emergencies (Animal Attacks)

Call 311 (non-emergency issues)

612-673-MACC (6222)
Fax: 612-673-6255

Jack Russell Terrier

Finding Lost Pets

Minneapolis Animal Care & Control (MACC) makes every effort to return lost pets to their owners. All stray animals are checked for pet licenses, identification tags, and microchips. If you are looking for your lost pet, please scroll above and click on Lost Dog, Lost Cat, or Small Animals to see if your lost pet is currently in our shelter. MACC does not take lost reports; owners can, however, bring in a poster to hang on our bulletin board.

What to do if you find a lost or stray animal

My pet is at the shelter, what now?

It is important to contact the shelter as quickly as possible once you believe your pet is there. Recovering a pet is time sensitive due to state laws, stress on the animal, etc. and failure to do so could result in permanent re-homing of a pet.

To reclaim your pet you must provide the following:

Proof of ownership; We must verify the animal is your pet to return it to you. Examples of proof of ownership include:

Your ID, must be at least 18 years old

Payment of all fees/fines. Applicable fees include:

Licensing your pet is the quickest and easiest way to recover your lost pet. When possible, licensed pets are delivered to your home at no cost. If you are not home or home delivery is not an option, owners of licensed pets do not pay an impound fee the first time they are brought to the shelter. However, kennel fees are not excluded. 

Didn't find your lost pet here?

If you do not see your animal on our website, we recommend also checking the following places: 


Last updated May 13, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Animal Care & Control  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo