Regulatory Services

Minneapolis Animal Care
& Control

212 17th Ave. N.
Minneapolis, MN 55411

911 for Emergencies (Animal Attacks)

Call 311 (non-emergency issues)

612-673-MACC (6222)
Fax: 612-673-6255


Animal Permits

Several types of permits are required by Minneapolis Animal Care & Control (MACC) including:

For more information on the types of permits and associated fees please see below. Some permit applications are available on this page to print, others must be requested as specific information needs to be obtained in order for the application to be generated. For additional questions or to request a permit you can call 612-673-6222.


Permit Types & Fees

Multiple Animal Permit

Minneapolis residents can have four combined animals--cats, dogs, rabbits, or ferrets--over the age of four months. For example:

However, to keep 4 cats or 4 dogs a Multiple Animal Permit will be required. Keeping additional animals beyond the allowed amount requires a permit. A multiple animal permit needs to be renewed annually.

Multiple Animal Permit Fees

Fowl Permit

Minneapolis residents can keep chickens, turkeys, ducks, and pigeons if they meet our education requirements, provide notice to the immediately adjacent property owners, and obtain a permit. A fowl permit needs to be renewed annually. The permits are priced based on the amount of animals kept, as well as an additional charge for roosters.

Keeping more than six fowl or any number of roosters requires the written consent of at least 80% of the occupants of properties within 100 feet of the applicant's property.

Honeybee Permit

Minneapolis residents can keep honeybees if they meet our education requirements, provide notice to the immediately adjacent property owners, and obtain a permit. This permit may be subject to certain conditions specific to the property. Honeybee permits do need to be renewed annually, but only for administrative tracking purposes--the fee is only paid once.

2016 Honey Bee Report

Honeybee Application

Amphibian/Reptile Permit

Minneapolis residents can keep some amphibians and reptiles depending on the species and size of the animal. An amphibian/reptile permit needs to renewed annually.

Amphibian/Reptile Permit Fees

Special Event Permits

Special event permits are required for events held in Minneapolis involving any hoofed animal or an animal that is wild by nature. Examples of such events include but are not limited to: circuses, petting zoos, pony rides, community events, and weddings. There are three classes of permits, and their respective application (pdf) are listed below:

Wild and Exotic Animals Ordinance MCO 63.130 (pdf)

Proof of insurance, vaccinations/health certificates (as applicable) and a completed questionnaire must be submitted with the application. For more information on Special Event Permits please contact Ann Thelen at [email protected] or 612-673-6258.

Failure to obtain a permit or failure to comply with permit requirements could result in fines up to $2,000.

Minneapolis Animal Care and Control accepts the following forms of payment: Cash, Check, Money Order and Credit Cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover.)

Last updated Jun 19, 2020



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Animal Care & Control  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo