Regulatory Services

Minneapolis Animal Care
& Control

212 17th Ave. N.
Minneapolis, MN 55411

911 for Emergencies (Animal Attacks)

Call 311 (non-emergency issues)

612-673-MACC (6222)
Fax: 612-673-6255

Dangerous Animal Declarations

Under Minnesota State Statute and Minneapolis City Ordinance, domestic animals that have bitten or demonstrated aggression must be investigated to determine if that animal is a threat to the public's safety and should be declared "dangerous." MACC conducts these investigations and makes dangerous animal declarations. Declarations are determined based on the severity of the incident, including serious bites and unprovoked aggressive behavior.

There are three types of dangerous animal declarations:

Any animal that bites a person or domestic animal and/or is subject to dangerous animal proceedings may be impounded and kenneled at the MACC shelter for the duration of the quarantine and/or until compliance is met. The owner is responsible for paying all fees incurred during quarantine at the shelter.

Declared animals must comply with certain requirements to safeguard against future attacks or aggression. MACC conducts bi-annual compliance checks on all dangerous animals in Minneapolis to ensure these requirements are met.

Dependent on the situation there is also the chance of no declaration being made on the animal, but the owner will be issued a warning and the incident will remain on file should another incident occur in the future.

Potentially Dangerous Animal

Owners of potentially dangerous animals must meet the following requirements:

Dangerous Animal

In addition to the requirements for potentially dangerous animals (full declaration), owners of dangerous animals must also meet the following requirements:

Destruct Order

Destruct orders are issued for the most serious incidents and for noncompliance with dangerous animal requirements.

Dangerous Dogs Map

View larger map

Last updated Oct 5, 2018



Contact us

Email updates

Find a service

About this site

For employees

For reasonable accommodations or alternative formats, contact 311.
People who are deaf or hard of hearing can use a relay service to call 311 at 612-673-3000.
TTY users can call 612-263-6850.

Para asistencia 612-673-2700, Yog xav tau kev pab, hu 612-637-2800, Hadii aad Caawimaad u baahantahay 612-673-3500. 

Animal Care & Control  ©1997-2020 City of Minneapolis, MN


311 call center

311 TTY relay service

City of Minneapolis Facebook City of Minneapolis Twitter City of Minneapolis YouTube ChaNNEL Minneapolis 311 Watch Minneapolis City Council TV City of Minneapolis LinkedIn

Minneapolis, City of Lakes logo